Asthma with only one symptom.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

i have asthma according to spirometry which is fine but i seem to always be trying to keep my airways open

i dont get

wheeze

chest tightness

cough

mucas ( sometimes just a tiny bit in my throat)

chest infections

asthma attacks

dont wake up in the night

all i ever get is a restricted feeling in my throat, which goes away if i have my inhalers, but always comes back when the

dose runs out and is always worse in the mornings

i started to get this after a truly nasty cold a few years back and my asthma nurse feels its adult onset

i have also read that adult onset can be persistant

does anyone else have similar issues or any knowledge of this. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi same here i was just told i have asthma by the test . i have no cough no wheezing only thing i feel is shortness of breath.

• Posted

Yes, I was adult onset asthma (over 30 yo) and it is truly HARD to deal with. The problem is constantly being attacked by allergens or colds that you cannot avoid. Asthma and copd symptoms are often worse in the morning, because you are lying down and mucus just settles in your chest.

If you feel better after using a rescue inhaler, that's a good indication of asthma.

But you probably know there are different degrees of having asthma. Some people have very mild asthma and rarely if ever have serious attacks. They only need to use an albuterol inhaler every once in a while. Some other people have moderate asthma and need daily maintenance steroidal based meds, like Advair, Symbicort or Brio to keep attacks from getting bad. And many asthmatics are moderate to severe sufferers who need inhaled steroids daily, rescue inhalers and regular trips to the ER to stay alive.

I almost always have a bad asthma exacerbation when I catch a cold. This just happened to me last week and ended up in a 3 day admission in the hospital. Sometimes I am able to muddle through the cold without going to the hospital, even though I am wheezing, etc. But after 20 plus years with this, I know my body and when it's truly an emergency requiring mega doses of hospital meds... which always means repeated nebs, intravenous steroids, magnesium injections and just professional oversight.

So I have multiple symptoms, but that doesn't mean you should ignore your one. They DO NOT PLAY at the hospital with asthma. I know it's harder to get the right diagnosis when you don't wheeze... that is definitely what they looking for first. But sometimes your lungs are so constricted that so little air is getting through that wheezing is hard to hear. That's when blood pulse oxygen tests are more important. Anything less than 90 is bad.

Take care of yourself and learn all you can about asthma symptoms and treatments. Go to the ER whenever you are short of breath. Since you respond well to nebulizer treatments, you can probably get better right in the ER without an admission.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.