Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello All

Just found this group, I thought I would get involved in the discussions. On the 18 May 2011, I had my normal day at work. I usually went to the gym at work each day, so I was very fit. I felt great from a very good session the day before. As I got there I felt a little under the weather but as you do you I continue. After about 10 mins I get worse but didn't know what was wrong so I stopped, after my shower I went back to work but my heart didn't slow down as it should have. 6 hours later it was still not right but me not wanting to upset anyone just drove the 1 hour to home. Oh I forgot to say I was due to have a back operation 4 weeks later. Over the next few weeks leading up to this op I had similar episodes but got a little worried but still didn't say anything until the pre op. Well when I told the nurse what was happening she started pressing lots of bells. It got worse when she couldn't find a pulse I either my left arm or in either of my feet. So over the net few days I had every test know to man. They finally said yes you have a problem but wouldn't say what. I had my back op and was doing very well, even managing to do 10 mile walks every day. When all of. Sudden one night. Yes you guessed it, heart went into overdrive. Luckily I stay very near a my hospital and it was still going on when I got there. When they finished all the usual tests they finally told me I had AF. They tried to get my heart to slow down but I was eventually put up into CCU. After more drugs it eventually slowed down. Over the next few months I tried lots of drugs in lauding Flecinide but they made me worse. Eventually I was told that I would need a Pacemaker as it was happening very often. So they told me I had Paroxysmal AF. When I went to see the surgeon from the Royal Brompton they said I was too young for that and I would have an oblation. This I had last June. It worked for a while. The funniest part was I had sensations in both my feet and right hand that I had not had for many years. So my circulation was better. When I got out I had 2 blackouts which were not very nice but I survived them, even hugging a tree at one point. For the next 6 weeks it was great with no symptoms at all. Then they started again, the upshot is I go in for my second one on Valentines Day, No jokes about massacres as I have already started that one, hopefully it works but I know of people who have had 4. I have even joined the AF association and I have attended their meetings. It's was very good. It does get you down and very tired. I'm now on the rat poison and dronedarone which helps to some extent. As I say to people yes we are all the same but different. Sorry for the rant

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time with your back and, with your AF, you did not say ifyou were on Wafarin which is a must in AF. I would also like to signpost you to the Healthunlocked

website. Once registered, login to the AFA site and I promise you that any questions you may have in the future will be answered by the amazing AF patients that subscribe to the website!

Good luck re: your health and feel free to rant at leisure.

Kindest regards. PhylK.

• Posted

Hello Phylk

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I said rat poison, of course that is what Warfarin is!!!! Yes I'm on it. Does make my work difficult. Has anyone else changed their diets due to the illness. I mainly now only eat chicken and fish. Meat is a rarity. This is supposed to help people who have AF. My biggest problem now is tiredness and gets quite embarrassing when you fall asleep when you have company round. I thought it was just old aged but I'm just over 50 so still a youngster. To compound my problems I have low blood pressure. The only good thing is that other than the AF my heart is very good with no trace of fatty substances etc. I also have low cholesterol at 3.2.

• Posted

Thanks for your post GrumpyPops. I wish you a successful outcome for your next ablation.

From my own experience I would advise anyone with AF to look carefully at side-effects caused by medication. I developed paroxysmal AF after being prescribed Ramipril for hypertension. Ramipril comes with a warning to see your doctor if you experience palpitations. This I did and not only did Ramipril continue to be prescribed but Sotalol was also prescribed. Sotalol also comes with a warning that it may cause palpitations. My doctor continued to prescribe Ramipril and Sotalol and referred me to a cardiac doctor who diagnosed paroxysmal AF and prescribed Warfarin in addition to the other meds. I then saw doctors regularly at my local hospital for about 8 years, which to me was a box ticking excersise, but not one doctor connected my PAF with my medication.

I was getting about 18 episodes a year lasting between 12 and 36 hours and was referred to Royal Brompton and advised to have an ablation. The doctor said that irrespective of the outcome I would be on Warfarin for life. I decided not to go ahead until I had proved that my PAF was not connected to my meds.

I insisted that my cardiac doctor change my Ramipril. He wasn't even aware that I was on it but agreed, reluctantly. The number of episodes in the following year reduced in number. I then stopped taking Sotalol and the number of episodes reduced further. Last year I had 12 episodes which is encouraging as I had been told that number would increase as a grew older.

Moral of the story, check your meds for side-effects and beware the medics particularly a nurse who can't find a pulse.

• Posted

Hello Marco. Thanks for your posting. I agree with you. When I was initially told that I had AF my doc put me on Flecainide which I see from other posts that patients are on. What he didn't tell me was that in some cases they make you worse. Guess what happened yes even more and longer. When I told him about the increase he said 'Oh yes" we know about the side effects "did no one tell you" I'm now on Dronedarone which are far better.
  • Posted

Hi grumpy pops,

I too have low blood pressure around 85/45. It makes medications pretty tough. I will be going for my third

ablation in a few months and in the interim have been advised to take the tambocor (which I will be startingtomorrow). I am freaking scared to take any anti arrythmics. I am in my 40's and have been dealing with this for 25 years...and have mostly been able to avoid medications since i dont tolerate them well....but the arrythmic burden is increasing significantly.....do any of you on here have a multitude of different kinds of arrhythmias or mostly just a fib?

• Posted

I literally understand everything youre going through. I've had 2 cardioversions and just got home from my catheter ablasion. Immediately I started having palpatations and panic. I've been home only for 6 hours and this is the worst. I cant workout or lift weights for 2 weeks. I'm on Xarelto and Diltiazem, among other things. Surgeon said i would have recurring Afib and palpatations. Seems like it will get worse before it's supposed to get better. Quality of life seems like a dream that can't be reached. Im told you can't die from Afib, but you sure feel like you will. Good luck brother.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.