Attempting to cope with silk seton, in need of support

Posted , 5 users are following.

I never normally post on forums, but hey, here goes. 

So my story... Since the beginning of September I’ve been learning to cope with the placement of a loose rubber band seton. I had a reaccuring abscess 3 times, (which was always in the same place) so in with the seton it was. When I woke up from the op, boy was I surprised to see what they’d done to me!

Post op, they didn’t really explain how to cope with one. I couldn’t bare the pain I was in, I was sure it wasn’t normal... I couldn’t stand up for more than 10 minutes and could just about make a cup of tea. Hot showers, ice packs and lots of painkillers were always at hand, but I never really found any real relief from it all. 

So it got changed into a loose silk suture (my surgeon changed it during a review appointment... so ad-hoc and without GA. Certainly NOT recommended unless you hate yourself! But I was desperate) and to my surprise, it was a weight of my shoulders. For a few days...

I have no idea what happened but I was suddenly back in excruciating pain again, but this time with crippling anal spasms - much like you get with an anal fissure. Which I’ve also had to deal with a lot when I was younger. I guess the thin silk thread just cut into the delicate skin in that area? 

I’ve used like two and a half tubes of GTN cream in the past month or so? It’s the only thing that’s given me some sort of pain relief. For about 10 mins or so at a time. So yeah, I’ve used it all day, everyday for a while.  I guess I’m lucky it never gives me a headache

My current issue is not so much the agonising pain; in the past four days my spasms have come to a stop, maybe only reappearing 20 mins after a soft BM, but in comparison to the last few weeks. God I am so much better. My issues now are a severe itchy butt hole! Despite a small amount of drainage, my actual seton / wound area doesn’t bother me at all! I alway keep the tiny knott on he outside of my body. I’ve tried thrush creams, hydrocortisone, hot/cold compress, sudocreme, keeping it dry - everything! Is this me healing perhaps?? Or GTN rash from overuse?? Along with the spasms I’m hoping it’ll go soon too... 

My first abscess came to greet me in February this year, but to be honest, it’s been since my 3rd one so September till now, enduring this seton business too, that’s totally knocked me for six.  I’m only 24 years old and not being able to go out, cook, exercise or even go to work has been so so awful. I guess I just wanted some reassurance from people that understand what I’m going through. I’m usually super confident but recently I’m having little moments, like crying nearly everyday for maybe 10 mins or so, I don’t ever feel sleepy at night or particularly interested in food. Which for me, is VERY unlike me. Another point - I’m not sure if the latter are slight Tramadol withdrawal symptoms?  

I never abused them but I have been using them on and off since September but suddenly stopped taking them 4 days ago when I suddenly felt a bit better (no actual pain just discomfort/itchy). 

I think I’m due an operation in January 2018 but again, they aren’t sure if they’re taking the seton out or not. And even so, after it being laid out (whatever that means) then it’s the healing game again - god it’s not even something I want to think about yet. I just can’t wait to feel normal again. 

I’m not really sure what I’m even asking. Any response would be greatly appreciated... thanks for letting me ramble xx 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hello

Sorry to hear you also have this condition. It is a real pain in the .... 

Itchy BH Try stopping sugar for a few days and see if it makes a difference, even fruit keep that to a minimum just for a few days and see how it goes. I know this might not be easy so build yourself up to it if you want to try. 

Tramadol, yep if you stopped it quickly then it could give you this reaction but glad you feel better off it. 

Being Laid out...there are two main ops for the fistula tract your seton is currently keeping open. Fistulectomy is a surgical procedure where a fistulous tract is excised (cut out) completely. (This is what you have had already) This is compared with fistulotomy, where the fistulous tract is merely laid open to heal. so with this one they cut open your bum cheek into the fistula and leave it open to heal so you no longer need a seton.

There are other options VAAFT and FILAC and an alternative therapy in India called  KshaarSutra (pronounced Shaar-Sootra) - this is a cutting seton but they use chemicals on the seton to help the process. 

This whole thing is mind blowing and the above might be too much info but I always say knowledge is power and the more you know the better questions you can ask to be sure you are getting the best treatment for you. 

I well known on here as the diet lady, I healed by doing boot camp for my fistula which involved eating tons and tons of veg for 2-3 months. You can see a wee summary of my story on the Perianal Abscess Org site if you would like to read it. 

Take your time, if you really are in pain and have a fever always contact your CRS to let them know. Talk to them and decide what is the best way to go. 

I hope you are back to normal soon.

• Edited

Really sorry to hear your story. I had a surgical sill suture but none of your pain  symptoms although I did get the itching. I found out about Calmoseptine ointment on the Fistula Warriors Facebook site (which I'd also strongly recommend for all fistula sufferers)

Not widely available in UK but you can get it on Amazon. It has a soothing menthol ingredient which cools the skin and relieves itching.

• Posted

omg i feel your pain I've had first seton pleaced over 14 montjs ago have had 2nd operation only a few weeks ago ware they removed the old seton replaced it and placed another one that extends about 5cm across my butt to then go back in, the discharge i have had to deal with continually for 14 months now its now worse and pads dont work now because of the 2nd drain i also have a bit of hairy situation i haven't been able to man scape that suition since it all began making this worse the discharge dries and rips and everything 🙄

but now all of a sudden im getting extreme itchy so bad im screaming i have to shower and use shower head to screach the itch as such i,ve been using a sunburn spay witch has numbing agent's in it to help with pain sometimes but only last 20min or so the itch is driving me crazy its so sudden and sever has only started the past 2 days lucky ive been at home i honestly am dreading it to happen driving or out somewhere is there anything to stop it or what is causing it ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.