Autoimmune disorders and covid vaccine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have DERMATOMYOSITIS with secondary raynaud's. I am concerned that if I have the vaccine will it cause a problem and flare up. Has anyone got any information with this regards

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi RCWgolf - I know this is five weeks old, but I found an article that may help you. I have a handful of autoimmune diseases, and am currently flaring. I'm being treated with a corticosteroid - so am concerned about that affecting the immune response.

This article was shared with my by a nurse, and features doctor's opinions from the Mayo clinic.

If you have a medical professional treating you, please be sure to talk to them.

I've heard from others with A/I GI disease that our response to the vaccine may cut our expected response from 95% (depending on which vax you receive) to potentially 80% instead. This is all still hypothetical. This article helped confirm for me the importance of receiving the vaccine.

I also reached out to the CDC with my concerns, and within a week received an extremely detailed response, with studies to back it up.

https://elemental.medium.com/should-people-with-an-autoimmune-condition-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-2e7df8f5359c

• Posted

I took the Pfizer with my myasthenia gravis and it was successful. I had zero reaction with the first shot, and a two-week exacerbation with the second shot. This indicated to me that the first shot alone was worthless and the second shot was necessary to get the desired immune response. I don’t know how much vaccine effectiveness remained but the vaccine did appear to work even with the 2,000 mg of mycophenolate immunosuppressant I was taking. I got a similar reaction with the second pneumonia vaccine (23) two years earlier.

I am pretty sure you could expect a flare of your dermatomyositis from the Covid vaccines. The Covid would almost certainly cause a flare and possibly a severe one. You will have to perform a risk-benefit analysis to look at which would be preferable. I don’t have enough information to help you with this. You would have to decide to stop your immunosuppressant or not and which vaccine to use. I’d talk to your doctor about these things and then decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.