Awful side effects on the implant, help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I took Microgynon for a few years and had great results. My doctor told me to stop taking it when I found out I have high blood pressure (hereditary).

I had the implant fitted on 1st May and have been on my period since about 24/25th May. I'm completely fed up and was told to try combining it with Cerazette only to find my periods are heavier than before.

I plan to have the implant removed as soon as possible and would like to know if it is possible for me to have a similar reaction to an IUD (copper)?

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well the copper IUD is known to cause heavier bleeding for the first few months, but then goes back to normal once your body has adjusted. Personally I find this better than using two types of hormonal b/c together!

Also, I am on the rigevidon pill (same as microgynon) and my grandpa has high blood pressure at old age. Is this something for me to worry about or am I fine as long as I don't have high blood pressure myself?

• Posted

I suppose there is no way of telling how my body will take to it.

I was given my Microgynon by my GP who asked for a full family history and knew that my father has been taking medication for his high BP since his twenties. To my knowledge, your BP should be taken regularly when you're on the combined pill, patch or injection as these methods are known to raise BP. I was only told to stop when my own BP was too high.

• Posted

I had exactly the same reaction to the implant and copper coil. Although with both I felt as if I was made out to be a liar as everytime I told my doctor about the bleeding and pain I was told that there is no proof that the copper coil or implant would result in year long very heavy periods ( I'm not exaggerating every day for over a year)

I had to fight and struggle to get both removed and have now been on the mirena for a year.

No periods and manageable pain (with paracetamol & only lasts for few hours)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.