Back muscles seem to be fragile / vulnerable after prolaspe

Posted , 2 users are following.

Everything I read about lumbar disc prolapse talk about back pain and sciatica.  After L4, L5, S1 prolapses 9 months ago, I have a little sciatica and a little pain in the spinal region, but my main problem is that muscles all over my back are very prone to strains.  Any new activity, even if just reaching in a direction I don't normally reach to, cause muscle soreness, anywhere over the whole back.

I'm very active, I rarely sat still before the injury and dare not after, and I take care to try to stay flexible.  

Is this normal?  Does anyone know why it is like this? 

My doctor tells me I don't have a problem because I can hop onto the exam table, because I can walk (5km max, before, all day), cycle (30km max, before, 100km over a mountain) and stand (30 minutes max, before, all day).  My physio cannot say why my muscles behave like this, merely telling me its the body protecting itself.

Any ideas?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I have been going through lower back pain for the last year, and similar to you have been able to walk and have good movement thanks to God, but still struggling with my pain and everything feeling so tight and just feel there is a barrier I'm struggling to get by. I've had so many scans and all that's showing is a disc bulge at L5-S1 and doctor can't necessarily understand why I'm in such pain, a physio said I had an anterior pelvic tilt and trying with exercises but struggling to find anything that's making a real difference.

Just wanted you to know I empathise and just pray that God brings healing and recovery in our lives. I've had to be off work for a year and it's brought me so down and been hard to cope a lot of the time. Just thought I would post as your story sounds a little similar to mine, wish I had more good advice / answers, but just trusting that there is a reason for what we've went through and that God can and will heal and bring new hope and recovery into our lives!

Thinking of you and if you find anything that works / helps please do let me know!! I've been trying vitamins and herbs and so many therapies, seeing an osteopath now hoping that can help.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.