Bad back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a 10% compression fracture of my L1 vertebrae 3 yrs ago. In this 3rd yr after my pain has gotten 10x worse. Sitting or standing in one spot gets bad sometimes so bad it feels like hard to breath, like major pressure. But the worst pain is at night about 4 hrs after being in bed the pain gets severe enuff it wakes me n forces me up. It goes from about the L1 area down to my lower back. My dr. Won't give anything for pain n told me to quit my job. (Moron) won't be wasting money on him again. I need to know what is going on n what can be done. This is not normal back pain. I can't deal much longer ,I do have very bad back of neck pain as well,like a knife stabbing me. Please help!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First thing change gp that's shocking he won't give you anything for pain relief have you and any mri's ? 3 years is a long term chronic pain management should be giving what pain killers are you on ?

In this day and age you need to be very pushy towards the NHS 7 gps I saw before I got a MRI scan

Have you had any physio ?

If you don't get anything or anywhere the last resort is writing to your local MP

Please don't give up I know it's easy to do

• Posted

The only thing been done is a couple x-rays when I broke the vertebrae. He gave me tramadol for 1 yr after I broke it n when I went to get more he denied it n said I should quit my job. The ortho in columbia said they was surgery they could do but with no insurance at the time my bills would be to high so he sent me home to heal by itself. I don't understand why 3 yrs lator the pain is so much worse n more frequent than when it was broken. I don't have any pain relief. Nothing otc works at all so I'm not gonna take a bunch of stuff if it don't work. I deal w alot of pain everyday, I'm tired of it, just worried what it could be. Idk what to do.
  • Posted

Try acupuncture which DOES WORK ON BACK PAIN. How did you suddenly stop Tramadol and did it work?  Sounds like you complain a lot but are doing nothing but accepting the pain!  Go for acupuncture. If it doesn't work go to a real GP and ask about Fentanyl patches.  You have to help yourself in a world where its almost impossible to get good medical treatment without an insurance. They all want to be certain they are going to be paid!  What job are you doing that the GP suggested it would be better for you to leave it and become one of the Great Unemployed?
    • Posted

I do complain alot n do need to do something . I was just hoping someone on here might have a good idea of what it might be by explaining my situation. I work in a candle factory that at the time I was lifting 50 pound slugs of wax all day, but for the 6 months I'm doing a job that has almost no lifting, alot of sitting n standing, I paint n pack pascals (large candles with religious designs yhat catholic churches use at Easter time) n the pain is just as bad. It's really bad about 4-5 hrs of being in bed, it wakes me up n I have to get up to get relief. I've bought new pillows ,mattresses, n mattress toppers. The new mattresses helped for about 2 weeks then the pain came back as string as ever. I am going to get it figured out, n have a counselor that is ready to help, just wondered if anyone on here might recognize my symptoms,n maybe calm my fears a little. Not looking for sympathy,only ideas from anyone that might have experienced the same symptoms. Needles are one of my biggest phobias so I don't know about the acupuncture.
    • Posted

I mean if anyone might think it's slipped disc, or arthritis or if maybe my vertebrae didn't heal right, I know I can't get an actual diagnosis here, just maybe an idea from anyone who may have had my same symptoms. Oh, n the tramadol helped a little n I usually had to take more than it said to, but dr. Wouldn't give me anything stronger. I know he sucks n I won't go back to him. That's why my counselor is going to help me find another dr . I live in a small rural town so finding another dr. Is a bit harder n going to be quite a few miles away, but I'm gonna do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.