Bad continuous imsomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

im 18 years old, I have struggled with insomnia for around 3 years. i never had a true obvious reason why it started. i have always been a anxious person, i have OCD too. but it started with struggling to fall asleep for a few hours and would happen once a month or so, usually around my period; but now it happens more often than not and I am lucky to sleep peacefully for even a few days. Its mostly triggered when i know i have to wake up early, however i sort of resolved this as i dont sleep with any clocks or phones and if i have to be up for 7.45am i will be in bed for 10.45. although sometimes this does not work and im mostly running on 3-5 hours i belive in the week. for me all it seems to take is one bad night to trigger it all off. However recently since having my boyfriend stay over who is the nicest boy. I struggle to sleep next to him. it began with not sleeping, then got slightly better and was okay after a few months but then its got worse again. the past 2 times I have not slept at all and I feel so bad for him as he blames himself. my problem is once i go a day no sleep, i start to fear the worst and that ill never sleep again and further die from it. i want to go doctors but have seen most saying it doesnt help and leads to pill addiction and reliance. but im so keen to try anything, i miss my love for sleep and the lack of sleep is starting to take a really bad toll on my mental health, someone plz help me im desperate.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hello

much of what you describe resonates with the sort of insomnia i have suffered from. i too am a little OCD and it usually manifests by worrying intensely about many things (including not sleeping). i also find my insomnia is a lot worse when i have to be up early, in fact it is probably one of the primary causes of it.

when you say you have had not slept at all two times - do you mean zero sleep in a night? i have got into the habit of doing this at the start of the week when i am worried about the week ahead and having to be up early.

i would recommend maybe pursuing some CBT therapy for sleep and wider anxiety. i too would be wary of pursuing medication for sleep. with regards to struggling to sleep in the same bed as someone - ear plugs can help to reduce noise if that is the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.