Baker's Cyst

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I went to the doctors yesterday because I have been having problems with my leg for the last two weeks.  I have had RA for 3 years and had fluid drained from my knee about a year ago which the doctor said is secondary to the RA.  It has been swelling again for about 3 months but I thought i'd wait as long as possible to have it drained again.  Over the last two weeks I have had a wet feeling down the back of my leg and pains pulling down towards my foot, also my calf has increased in size. The doctor thinks that I had a Bakers Cyst and that it has now ruptured.  I have to go for a scan on my knee tomorrow and he also wants to rule out DVT.  Has anyone suffered with this problem before?  Thanks for any feedback. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna. I've had RA for nearly 17 yrs and have had three baker cysts in last 7 yrs in left knee. Each time my knee had been v swollen and I'm told the excess fluid had nowhere else to go but around the back of my knee in a small space or sac...which eventually burst. Pain and swelling in calf for about 4-6 wks as body re absorbs fliud. Rheumy always seemed quite dismissive of it. I felt however it led to a lot of inflammation in my knee as if once cavity was there it was always full with fluid.

Have spent last few years have my knees drained and injected with steroids many times over. Currently waiting for date for two new knees. Only 47 work full time and two children but got to keep going and smiling. Keep your leg up if you can for comfort when sitting. I found cold pack was soothing. The dvt checks are routine with baker cysts as mimic Symptoms. Best to be sure. Get well soon.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Deborah.  I had the ultrasound scan on my leg on Thursday - Its my left knee too! I have problems with this knee anyway as I had an operation on it about 8 years ago and had a new ligament made as one of mine had snapped through sport.  The swelling did need draining (I have had this done once before to this particular knee) but I tried to hold out for as long as I could, so like you have said, they told me the fluid had nowhere to go and burst.  I had it drained after my scan and a steroid injection into it and I feel so much better!  I'm still getting nasty twinges now and then as the fluid is absorbing.  That's good to know how long it took you to get rid of fluid. You were young getting diagnosed.  I'm 36 and also work full time but thankfully my job doesn't need me to run around all day so I get opportunities to rest my leg.  Thanks for the advice about the cold pack - i'll try doing that today!  Take care Deborah and thanks again for your reply. Anna.
    • Posted

Hi Anna. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Soon be back to normal...ish!! - whatever that is in the RA world. Best wishes. Deborah.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.