Baking soda

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have read a couple of posts about using baking soda in bath water to alleviate symptoms of LS. I will ask my doctor. Please comment if you have any personal experience using baking soda or Epsom Salt.

Thanks!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have used baking soda for months now with great relief. I also use a little bit in a perineal bottle to clean myself sometimes
    • Posted

I just happened on using a baking soda bath. It works remarkably well. I'm convinced the flare ups are related to acid urine, and what we eat, I love hot food but it doesn't help at all, bitter greens seems to be not good either. At least those are some of the factors. Thank you for your post.

• Posted

Hi Mary yes I've used Bicarbonate soda in the bath and found it did help also douch with it is ok it's awful having to put up with LS I've had it for 15 yrs now  .

• Edited

I have used 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup baking soda to bath water every day for the last 10 months, one to two daily depending on your symptoms. After getting out of tub, allow to dry, I use a blow dryer on cool setting. But you could stand in front of a fan.

If it is an am bath, I put on coconut oil to affected areas, and my doctor recommended keeping the inner labia oily as well. By doing this, the clitoral area has not become affected at all. Every time I go to bathroom I use a peri bottle with water and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and squirt the front and the back side. Then allow to dry and reapply the coconut oil. I promise you will get so good at doing this it will go fast if you keep everything out on your counter top and ready to use. At night, is when i apply the Betamethosone ointment every 4th night,then I follow with more coconut oil. I am symptom free and no more skin discoloration after my diagnosis with biopsy last November. My doctor says I am in remission and to keep doing what I am doing, and try to get to use the ointment to one time a week. That is scary to me, however, so I plan to keep doing what I'm doing for awile. I no longer tear, which use to happen with a bowel movement. No longer itching or burning and I can wear snug fitting workout clothes again! I also found using the more expensive "wedgie free" panties by Warner has helped tremendously in the beginning, cause they don't ride in your groin. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I read a study that Tacrolimus Ointment 0.1% worked, you can find the study on the internet. I used it once and it was amazing. At the time I had eaten cooked beet greens and it caused a terrible flare up. I've been doing the baking soda baths just recently (epsom salts, doesn't help near as much). Mary your routine is something I'll start. I bet, the oil application helps protect the skin from the acid urine. I wish I had come upon this site earlier. thanks to all who contribute.

• Posted

I have also found a lot of relief this way.  I use about 1/2 cup of baking soda dissolved in a tub of warm bathwater (not deep) and soak in it for 20 minutes.  I do it as needed for itching and discomfort and also on the nights when I am going to apply clobetasol (3 nights/week).  My doctor has said that a warm soak beforehand will help the clob absorb into the skin better.  I haven't tried a perineal bottle of it during the day, but I think I may also give that a try as I've had so much success with the baking soda baths over the last 6 months.  And one of the best parts is that baking soda is so inexpensive that it's a cheap but effective way to relieve symptoms!

• Posted

Mary, I read about it when I first went on the forum (less than a month ago).  I find it a painless, non-irritating way to clean that area.  I have stocked up on baking soda and will continue using it.  Good luck !!
  • Posted

I'm doing this baking soda treatment now for approximately more than a year and am fully functional again. (great sex included)  I can ride my bike again, wear whatever I want - pants and such.  Haven't felt this great in a long time.  My gyno also says - keep doing what you're doing.  I know of a gyno who now recommends the baking soda as common treatment.  That and a strict diet. 

?I'm so excited that what my mother used for hard to heal sore wounds works for LS. Total fluke.  Now many can go and live happy lives again.   

• Posted

Hi Mcaethad,

It has been a while since I posted the above. My diet is still the same: no gluten, no added sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine, limited dairy (only a plain yoghurt and goat cheese.) And best to prepare meals at home, so I know what ingredients are used. I hope this answers your question.

• Posted

Hi Hanny,

Can you give me some information about how strong you make the solution for soaking and for washing with baking soda?

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.