Balancing Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i'm back on 20mg Citalopram meds after a large panic attack at work. Before now i'd been taking my 10mg meds very scattily. Seemingly I've had every single side effect that comes with these. I know its all down to time for these to work, Im just wondering if its too high of a dose right now. Has anyone dropped down before? Or heard of something similar?

Before starting these again life was still good/manageable, I knew I just needed to be stable. When I dont have these side effects I feel so much better, just concerned in case I make things worse "adjusting" again when I feel like i've fought so hard over these 3 weeks. My doctor doesn't seem knowledgable.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Charlotte

It is important you do not reduce the original dose to 10mg without your Doctors advice. Take the 20mg and see how you go.

The reason I say this is it may be He will increase you onto a higher working dose when He knows you are ok.

If you have problems we are here, also your GP will also need to be kept informed

BOB

• Posted

Thanks! It was after a visit to the doctor that the idea was put forward. She's prescribed me double the amount of 10mg should I still want to carry on taking 20mg. I dont know if its worth dropping to 10mg. Haven't heard any stories from others in a similar situation.

• Posted

charlotteĀ 

You bow to the wishes of your GP here, you seem to be responding and your GP has decided that increase may work over a longer period.

If you were having problems with the 20mg your GP would have kept you on the lower dose. If you feel uncomfortable, go back to your GP and explain any concerns you may have

In my case I take 20mg, I am different as I have a Chronic Disability and need to take this drug for life.

If you reduce from 20mg ito 10mg you will need a phased withdrawal.

The same applies to a 10mg dose although in some instances withdrawal from 10mg may not need a withdrawal period sometimes.

It all depends on the relationship between GP and Patient.

We are here to chat

BOB

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

I took 20mg for many years before reducing to 10mg as a maintenance dose and then stayed on that for years.  How long had you been on 10mg from the 20mg?  Best not to take it randomly.

When I reduced it took me a little while to adjust.

Increasing to 20mg again will be fine - you might get some side effects again, but let them settle and in time they'll pass.

Having a panic attack.  If you're stressed and tense, this can trigger anxiety and panic.  Missing doses didn't help either.  For me, when I'm tired, not getting enough sleep, can make me begin to feel anxiety and tense too.

No, you haven't made things worse - maybe for a week or so you may feel unsettled, but your body will adjust soon.

Doctors ...... mmm, tell me about them rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I was on 20mg for a good 5+ years. In that time I dropped to 10mg twice. Before the attack I was very erratic taking my 10mg tablets but had been on them for a year at least.

I feel good panic wise, Im not fearing having another. I am thinking not enough sleep is affecting me this week. The side effects are taking their toll and I feel they may be affecting my positive moods. I am thinking to just keep going......confused

• Posted

If you'd been on 10mg and was ok then, I suspect taking your meds erratically and the lack of sleep could have been the tipping point maybe?  Side effects always do knock the positive moods down.  You know it gets better, it does get better.

Whilst you wait for the meds to settle, take a daily walk - fresh air is good and the exercise too as it raises our endorphins making us feel happier.  Relaxing is often the key too - letting go of all tension in the body helps 'fight' against anxiety, depression, panic.  You can practice this throughout the day - going about life at a slower pace, drive slower, walk slower and everything else.  In time your body will feel calmer.

Yes just keep going - you know it gets better - I went through many episodes during my time on medication, and I could always pinpoint it when I looked back as to what triggered it.  It passed eventually.

You'll get there xx

• Posted

Charlotte

?I can only offer you my experience which might not relate to yourself or others but I was started on 20mg Cit 4 months ago for the first time on any ADs. The first week was by far the worst of my life , My doctor convinced me to stick with it & after 5 weeks things did settle down , Things didnt improve for long & I steadily got worse , I was still suffering with the side effects & was convinced I was worse than before the meds. Morning depression was everyday lasting till the afternoon, I spoke to the doctors who said I might need to increase the dosage I said I would like to decrease first, Witihin 2 days I was feeling good & have been feeling great now for the last month on 10MG. I havent felt this good in a year. The 20MG was just too much for me. Hope things work out for you & just believe that you will feel great again no matter what your brain tries to tell you. keep posting

• Posted

Thanks for this Tom. This is very helpful. There isn't many stories of this so it's nice to hear one. I do think it maybe is too high. I went into the 20mg thinking it wouldn't affect me as much as this and it's flipped everything around. When I first started the 20mg many years ago I was in a much much darker place and they helped me through. 3 weeks ago I wasn't brilliant but I wasn't depressed or in as much of a bad way. Have you been mainly fine on the 10mg?

• Posted

Charlotte

I don't want to jinx things but since I reduced to 10mg I have been feeling great. I just wish I had been started on 10mg in the begining. I was started on 20mg for having recurring low mood spells every couple of months lasting 3 or 4 days , Once on the meds I was depressed nearly everyday which was not normal for me , I thought my condition had just got alot worse & that I would never get back to my old self. I just so happy that the 10mg is working well for me now & will keep on this dose till the end of the year & if all goes well look to reduce again from next year. Hope you find what works for you & just keep believing that you will.

• Posted

That's great news. I had my first ten yesterday and I must admit it was so nice to feel less "foggy" after I'd taken it. It really impacted on my day and outlook. Even my family have noticed. Hopefully this will continue. I know I'll still have small times when I feel "off" at the minute I'm feeling slightly "off" as ive woken up and thought about things concerning me but knowing it's worked for you is reassuring.

• Posted

Charlotte,

I'm feeling the same way, tomorrow will be week 2 for me. I'm 38 years old and the panic attacks started a couple of years ago. Now I'm to the point where I don't be leave my house. I lost my job, the people I love I don't socialize. But I'm hoping these next few weeks will change the way i feel. I want my life back as you do. We need to stick to the pills and give them time to work. Trust me they do suck, all I can do is lay in bed. As I feel dizzy all the time and have minor headaches. STAY positive!

• Posted

Generally Charlotte

Your medications should be reassessed every three months.

Many practices do this as a matter of course, this gives them the chance to make sure there are no severe contraindications,

If you actually use a certain Chemist in the Surgery or Commercial they will also approach you when you go and pick up your script. This gives the chance to discuss any problems you may have

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.