Bali done, bring on that second hip!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well, we're home again. We were very lucky with our flight to Bali as we somehow managed to get through in between closures of Denpasar airport, after which one very nice two weeks started. 

I had anticipated discomfort to say the least, but overall, spreading painkillers worked very well!

I even managed to walk around the monkey forest without crutches,  even though that entire forest is riddled with (uneven) stairs. I even managed to walk 10 miles one of the days, though admittedly there were plenty breaks going from shop to coffee place to shop and so on. 

Riding the elephants! What majestic beasts are they and sooo sweet. First time I sat on a bench, second time I sat on the back as if you'd sit on a horse, legs forward and slightly down. The broad back allowed a comfy sit. Just don't ask how I got off after. That was a sorry sight 😝.

had a bit of trouble with Jackie as well, Bali Zoo's residential Orangutan. I had stupidly allowed myself to have a bit of a showoff with him as we went there during the day. It had completely slipped my mind that staring a monkey in the eye is a sign of agression to the monkey. So even though it was funny to see him try and be taller than me (tough chance Jackie!) he was actually pretty miffed. 

Which he showed me three days later as we were there at night to see the nocturnal beasties... We were walking the Zoo again, this time with guide because of the dark and we had to pass Jackie's pen. Jackie sat near the water. Next to mud. Jackie saw our group pass by. Jackie saw me legging behind on my crutches. Jackie took revenge. Scooping handfulls of mud, he started to bombard me (only me!) locking behind a tree. The guide had to get his attention for me to make a hasty retreat. I now respect the Orangutan. He can throw a lot harder than I can hope for 😁

a week later though, we had our pictures taken with another Orangutan on our lap. This one 6 years old though, instead of 37 years old. We heard later as well that Jackie had in fact murdered his second mate (the first died of old age and they thought he'd like a new partner) and had managed to cripple a vet for life. The 6 year old was quite a bit sweeter..

we bought paintings as well in Ubud, three total. Two live in our house now, one went to my mom-in-law.

back home, I planted three trees, 6 bushes and laid a bit pathnear our fence to get in and out easier. 

And now I am back to work, popping pain killers daily because that left hip is acting up more and more I can't wait for August 27 to get the other one done and be able to do even more than I can niw!

So there, my three weeks in a nutshell (big nut, yes...) 😁

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh, picture of me with a Binturong on my neck and one with an Orangutan on my lap! 😀

and a great picture of a white tiger I think!

• Posted

Wow what an memorable experience.

Thank you for sharing.

How far from your Thr when you did this trip?

• Posted

My right hip was done on May 15 and was about 2 months old when we left. I had talked about it at my 6 week checkup and was told to go for it. The hospital then proceeded to try and get me my second hip on July 8, but that in my opinion was too soon (<3 months) as well as too close to the trip. so we settled on august 27 for the other hip to be done. little over 3 months then, but at least my os will have had a nice holiday as well then and be all fit and awake 😉

and absolutely memorable! we'll repeat the trip at some point as well, there is just too much to see and do, two weeks was just not enough time.  months)="" as="" well="" as="" too="" close="" to="" the="" trip.="" so="" we="" settled="" on="" august="" 27="" for="" the="" other="" hip="" to="" be="" done.="" little="" over="" 3="" months="" then,="" but="" at="" least="" my="" os="" will="" have="" had="" a="" nice="" holiday="" as="" well="" then="" and="" be="" all="" fit="" and="" awake="" 😉="" and="" absolutely="" memorable!="" we'll="" repeat="" the="" trip="" at="" some="" point="" as="" well,="" there="" is="" just="" too="" much="" to="" see="" and="" do,="" two="" weeks="" was="" just="" not="" enough="">

and absolutely memorable! we'll repeat the trip at some point as well, there is just too much to see and do, two weeks was just not enough time. >

• Posted

Hello _ lovely journal of a memorable trip!

Great you survived and thrived and hip will be stronger as a result.

Bestest

Mic

• Posted

It was indeed one of the goals of the trip; getting the 'done-one' stronger moving toward the next op.

Now if only my knee(s) will work with me and not bother me, I'm happy wink

• Posted

What a fantastic trip...Thank you for sharing!

All the best for the 27th

Ella 

• Posted

Hi

love the orangutan story!!

I think you have done brilliantly 

glad you ha a good time. Good luck for 27th 

Arol😄 Xx

• Posted

It was a bit of fiddling though! Some days, I'd be stacking painkillers.. I overdid it a few times, I'm well aware, but the rest itself also made me have days where I could stay at minimal dose. 

• Posted

What a great trip, and to be the target of revenge!
    • Posted

It is one of the greatest ligering things to be honest hahaha. 

Goes to show that they are a lot like us! Harboring a grudge and then taking action on it as well. He knew exactly how to pin me down behind the tree. And I couldn't help but enjoy it.. Such an absurd situation smile

• Posted

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful vacation, so smart to take a break like that between surgeries. Loved the photos and your description of an encounter with an orangutan. Thank you for sharing with us.
    • Posted

It absolutely was! And it wasn't so much smart as it was lucky! We had booked this in september/october last year already, well before I had any idea of what was ahead for this year. 

I just got lucky that the first operation was well before the vacation began to be able to take the trip! Of course I have tried to manipulate things with regards to the when of teh operation, but it mostly was luck. Sometimes it does happen apparently wink

• Posted

Good morning Arjen and welcome home ...

Wow, what a trip - good to read your stories and how much you enjoyed the outings ... hats off to you ... Never underestimate an orangutan or any animal, not even your cat !!!!   

Take care and take a bit easy okay?  I mean, don't overdo it ...

Did you swim in the ocean at all?

knuffeltje 

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee smile

I don't underestimate animals normally, and normally I do take care of how the animal reacts. I just never stopped to think that he might actually remember me and hold a grudge enough to try and smack me silly with whatever he could get his hands on smile

Overdoing it... I did already. Not so much in Bali mind you, but getting home, I took apart the swing we had in the garden, leaving a gaping hole that just seemed off. So we went and got ourselves trees and plants.. Which is where I did overdo it. I planted trees and plants and had to do a fair bit of digging. So I got punished for that the day after. All good now again, but I did have to slow down myself a LOT for a few days..

I did swim in the ocean as well! Which was great! I just had to make sure that whenever a wave would crash over me, I was bobbing along with it. One of the first ones I tried staying upright, but that blow is just a bit much, so that was a one-off. 

Lot of fun though, been a long time that I was able to swim like that. smile

And you? How did the whole move go? How is the new place?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.