Band to bypass?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone out there had this done is it better than band ? How much slower is weight loss can u actually eat "normally" but less (I know no sugar/fat)  do u regret having it done any info comment please I don't know at min want to get it right this time 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have no personal experience but have know of others who have had this done - usually wgt loss is not as quick if you have already had one type of wgt ;loss surgery and you revise to a diff type - but generally speaking with RNY there is the double whammy of losing wgt by malabsorbtion as well as restriction so usually the wgt loss is more successful,e specially if you have a lot to lose - is there a particular reason why you are considering this revision - is there def nothing that can be done to salave wgt loss with your band?  You might get more answers from a support group or an organisation such as WLSinfo - Its a big step to take so you need to get as many diff view points as possible -  good luck - hope you make the right choice
  • Posted

Four months post-op. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. No regrets. I can eat anything but carrots, just less. Protein first, of course. Lots of water. I'm loving the clothes I can wear now...../
    • Posted

Glad to hear u doing so well, are you a conversion or a straight by pass?i seem to be getting lots off conflicting info at the hospital they said they are doing 1/2conversions a week I'm trying to find one off those people. Have you suffered from dumping much? How about fat and sugar intake thanks for any info much appreciated
    • Posted

Straight bypass. No dumping syndrome. I can eat anything but carrots. I'll try them again some day. I don't eat much bread, white rice or potatoes, but I never really did. I trade off between scones and high fiber flavored instant oatmeal for breakfast, with almond milk and walnuts, then lots of protein, lots of water, the rest of the day. Fruit, usually grapes late afternoon. I now eat things I haven't eaten in years, just much less. I don't even think about food most of the time. I am only hungry when I wake up, which is new for me. I have overeaten two or three times in the beginning, but not in quite awhile. It's very uncomfortable and you learn quickly. I really drag out meals and pick at my food. It makes you almost tired of eating. I feel like I am now on a level playing field with skinny friends. I now eat like they do.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.