Barratts Salty taste in mouth

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with low level Barratts Oesophagus and IBS in November 2011. I am due my next endoscopy in November of this year. However over the last few weeks I have developed an unpleasant taste in my mouth and my lips taste salty.I am not sure if this is a normal symptom of Barratts or a sign that my condition has worsened.Any advice or information would be gratefully received.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I couldn't give professional advice here, but your mention of unpleasant taste in your mouth and lips tasting salty is the first I've seen anything on that. I've not experienced that
  • Posted

Thanks Alan.I've got a vague memory of reading somewhere that a symptom of Barratts was a salty taste in the mouth, but I can't remember what it signified.
  • Posted

My advice is to  be strong .  stress and to much worry   is our big enemy . it is not easy but try . we all are in God" s  and doctors hands . I was very depressed months ago with my low Barrett but now i accept and fight against it . we cant do nothing only to fight and not give up . be positive not everybody  with Barrett develop cancer . think positive  you are one of them . wish you the best .

• Posted

David, I having been eating Manuka honey, licorice tablets, chamomille and green tea. I take 20 mg of Omeprazole daily.
  • Posted

Thanks Alan and mirela89892 for your replies and information,much appreciated. Decided to go and see my GP on Thursday,hopefully to put my mind at rest.
  • Posted

Hi David . i read a lot all information i found about Barrett . I  worried about PPI side effects ,also Omeprazol did nothing for me . Stomach pain couse to low acid affect stomach than osteoporosis ,bones trouble , pneumonia and others . I decided to take Cimetidine wich is not so strong , DGL licorice , fish oil  for immune sistem B complex , multivitamine and probiotic . I eat a lots of veggies and fruits ,almond milk ,plain yogurt  ,aloe vera   . didnt try sliperry elm , marshmalow yet  . i read about cabbage juice it is a miracle they say  heal all digestive mucous . if cure stomach ulcer why not the oesophagus . we have to try everything . A nutritionist  told so , instead of PPI  to take Licorice who cure throut lining than to eat an alkaline diet and if the food go up cant damage couse is alkaline not acidic ,also cancer cells dont like alkaline body . take care of you and let us know what the doctor told you .

• Posted

Thanks mirela89892. Saw my GP and he upped my dose of Omeprazole 20mg from one to two daily. Apparently the salty taste in the mouth is a symptom of Barrett's. He arranged another endoscopy and have been today. Have to go back in two years for another one. I am a little confused by the Gastroscopy Report I was given. I would be very grateful if some one could convert the following phrases into layman's terms,

Apparent mucosal junction at 35cm from the incisors. Non circular Barrett's epithelium from 35cm to 40cm.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi David . I found information about your result . write on Google the result and you can have a lot of nformation . A doctor answer to a patient . The mucosal junction is just an anatomical part of the stomach wich lies between the esophagus and the stomach itself . it containscells wich secrete certain substances .This is not serbyious ,this is anatomical .They are just telling you where the junction is . About non circular epithelium i found this ;  There is an endoscopic grading system   of oesophagitis  by  Savary-Miller . Grade 1,2,3,4 and 5 . people with Barret are in the grade 5 .Barrets epithelium . Columnar metaplasia in the form of circular or noncircular ( islands or tongues ) extensions . So dont worry about your result . you have no dysplasia . hope it helps you .

• Posted

Many thanks again,mirela89892, for the time and effort you have put into your replyit's appreciated, got to wait now for the results of the biopsies taken during the endoscopy.
  • Posted

Hi David.  I was diagnosed also with mild BES and I have a terrible salty taste in my mouth.  The interesting thing to me is that the taste started when I began a PPI for the Barretts!  It has been about 9 months now, and I still have it... so you begin to stop noticing it.  I don't think it's anything to worry about.  Just our brains reacting.  Good health..
  • Posted

Thanks,Susan1010, the salty taste apparently is a symptom of Barrettt's. Mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near as strong as it was initially.Also just received the result of my endoscopy, all clear for another two years, time for a glass of wine to celebrate!!
  • Posted

Hi David , im glad to hear about your result of endoscopy . relax ,relax a lot and eat healthy .

• Posted

This also happened with me before diagnosis my tummy hasn't been great and I've got it again now and I'm scared does it mean barretts is worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.