Barrett's not under control

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

So i was diagnosed with Barretts March 2013, before i was diagnosed i never really shown any symptoms until i started taking the meds.

I have to get a new scope within the next month due to black stool but now i am also getting paid in my stomach area, not my bowell actually stomach.

Could barrett's progress this quickly to a cancerous stage as i am obviously concerend!

I have not really been following a barrett's diet but if all is good i intend too now.

I am 30 y/o and only found out i had barretts by a routine scope due to bowell issues. The doctor has never really told me how bad it was but said a scope every 2 years is fine.

Thanks for help in advance.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tambdy,

Firstly, it's extremely unlikely you have cancer. (I've had Barrett's at least 21 years and it hasn't changed in all that time.)

Barrett's iteself has no symptoms. The symptoms you experience are from the acid or reflux that caused it. Stomach pain may be caused by excess acid or from bloating. If your Barrett's were to progress to cancer, it would be unlikely to present as symptoms in your stomach.

Black stools may be due to bleeding within the GI tract - usually within the intestines but could be from the stomach. The doctors will want to establish its source to deal with it and a colonoscopy may be called for (along with a gastroscopy).

As far as diet goes, we are all different and tolerate foods differently. You need to determine your own particular triggers. There are some common myths about diet (eg alkaline foods or spicy foods - which actually make no difference). Keep a food diary to determine which foods cause you problems and avoid them.

Your Barrett's is presumably non-dysplastic or you would have been told and scoping would be more frequent along with having treatment options discussed.

Normal surveillance scoping following BSG guidelines which were reviewed last year, is 3-5 yearly for segments shorter than 3 cm and 2-3 yearly for segments of 3cm or greater.

All the best

Chris (Chairman Barrett's Wessex)

• Posted

Hi Chris, 

Thank you very much for the very detailed reply. You have put my mind at ease. I think the bleeding may be from the stomach but it is intermitant and i have had a lot of constipation but hopefully nothing serious and it sorts itself out. Can acid cause bleeding Chris?

I will make sure i keep a food diary and see which foods work for me and which dont. I recently had terrible pain after egg so i have been staying away from them. 

I am glad you barrett's had stayed away and i hope it continues too.

Thomas 

• Posted

Also i take it as i am being scoped every 2 years that i must have 3cm or greater.
  • Posted

The strategy your doctor has taken with you is known as the "wait and see" approach. It's common but is getting scrutinised more and more these days as esophageal cancer from Barrett's continues to rise dramatically. 

I'd be very cautious if I were you. Current stats that are actually now claimed to be understimating the problem say this: As things stand with no dyplasia you have a 40 times higher than average chance of developing esophageal cancer. This translates into 0.5% to 1% chance each year. So for example the other poster called Barretts, currently has slightly over 10% to 20%, or 1 in 10 to 1 in 5 chance of developing cancer - so stating that his Barrett's hasn't progressed should not give you peace of mind at all. No offence to you, Barretts. In fact the video I've included below addresses claims exactly like this at the 18:15 mark. 

The video is an up to date summary of Barrett's and the risks from Dr. John Lipham, one of the world's leading physians in treatment of reflux and Barrett's. 

The whole thing is well worth watching but if you're strapped for time skip to 14:30 for the section on Barrett's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRT4Wg71D8

As more research is suggesting, it appears that it's bile alone that is responsible for Barrett's not the acid - hence so many people's Barrett's progressign whilst on PPIs... 

• Posted

Simalip, you're correct in saying there is an increased risk of developing cancer if you have Barrett's Oesophagus and I am aware the lifetime risk shows increased chance over 20 years.

Oesophageal Adenocarcinoma is currently the 8th most prevalent cancer and the number 5 cancer killer in the UK which has the highest per capita rate of this in the world.

It's identifiable precursor lesion is Barrett's Oesophagus which is what the charity I co-founded and chair in UK, Barrett's Wessex, focusses on. "Our principal aim is to reduce the number of deaths to oesophageal cancer through raising awareness of its predominant pre-cancerous lesion, Barrett's Oesophagus."

In US some years ago, based on cadaver studies, the Ryan Hill foundation discovered at death (from whatever cause), 1 person in 70 of the population had Barrett's Oesophagus though only 10% knew it.

Transferring that figue to UK would mean we have 1 million with the disease and 8000 a year are dying here from OAC. However, I agree figures may actually be grossly underestimated. US has 5 times the population of UK but only twice the number of annual deaths from OAC so it may be in UK we could even have 2.5 million with Barrett's Oesophagus.

However, we must not be alarmist. Those diagnosed with Barrett's can be considered the lucky ones as regular surveillance scoping every few years will identify any pre-cancerous dysplastic changes early enough to be ablated. It's those who are unaware they have it who are likely not to know until the condition has actually become cancerous when it may be too late with a prognosis measured in weeks rather than years.

The most recent risk figures we commissioned from the statistics branch of cancer Research UK last year which took into account numerous studies in Europe and America, shows an annual progression risk of 0.7% from Non-Dysplastic Barrett's, 1% from Low Grade Dysplasia and 6% from High Grade Dysplsia.

Barrett's Oesophagus is a cellular change from squamous cells to columnar cells as a protection to the body to prevent it digesting itself.

Both Acid and bile are both needed. Bile acts as the surfactant required for the acid to attack animal tissue and fats.

A study from University of Rochester NY published August 2013, found "bile at low pH, but not bile or low pH alone" is required.

To reduce risk of development of Barrett's, we need to control at least one of the elements of acid, bile or reflux. The easiest is to reduce acid using PPIs.

The Keck video you link to is actually a promotion of the LINX device which will not stop the possibility of progression to cancer if it is to occur - in the same way as I know my fundoplication will not stop possible progression of mine.

To minimise the risks of progression, Barrett's cells may be ablated. However, since this will not remove the underlying cause for the Barrett's to have developed initially, acid suppressant medication or reflux reduction surgery is required subsequent to completing a course of ablation therapy and continuation of surveillance.

• Posted

Dear Barrett's,

I know you say bile and acid are both necessary, but I have read times that acid suppression therapy enhances bile acid effects. So in agreement with some part of what you say, since bile is worse, it is better if we control bile, or both. Suppressing just the acid may not be good.

One more thing since PPIs can make you feel better and vanish symptoms, you may need to do endoscopy every several years. Search for "Dr Blair jobe Heartburn meds tied to cancer". This is not to scare you. It's just a warning that everyone taking PPIs (not sure about antacids) should do endoscopy every several years.

• Posted

Thanks for reminding me of the July 2011 Pittsburgh study "Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Symptom Severity, Proton Pump Inhibitor Use, and Esophageal Carcinogenesis." From other studies, around 40% of people refluxing acid do not experience the recognisable symptoms of heartburn, It does make sense that they could be more liable to carcinogenesis since it's not so easy for them to determine the efficacy of medication.

I agree the importance of regular endoscopy as recommended by BSG and ACG. I always say those of us who know we have Barrett's are the lucky ones since we receive regular surveillance.

Although there may be a possibility of increased bile when reducing stomach acid (see "Suppression of Gastric Acid Secretion in Patients With Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Results in Gastric Bacterial Overgrowth and Deconjugation of Bile Acids" - Theisen et al 2000), bile has the nature of an emulsifier and is rarely acidic on its own. It works to bind the concentrated hydrochloric acid to the mucosal layer in attacking the oesophageal epithelium. Whereas we can easily reduce the acid, it's not easy to reduce the bile. It is probably better to reduce the reflux but patients are notoriously bad at managing that and the surgical alternative is too frequently discounted.

• Posted

Hi. Do not take bleedings as simple, and do sth about them
  • Posted

I know bile and acid may both be necessary, but I have read times that acid suppression therapy enhances bile acid effects. So in agreement with some part of what Barrett's says, since bile is worse, it is better if we control bile, or both. Suppressing just the acid may not be good.

One more thing since PPIs can make you feel better and vanish symptoms, you may need to do endoscopy every several years. Search for "Dr Blair jobe Heartburn meds tied to cancer". This is not to scare you. It's just a warning that everyone taking PPIs for a long time (not sure about antacids) should do endoscopy every several years.

• Posted

I agree with barretts Wessex ... We who are being scoped every few years are the lucky ones..... We hopefully are aware of the situation we are in.... It's the larger population who unknowingly have barretts that do not realise the warnings until it is too late that need all this information. We are there with our repeat endoscopies.... Nothing I can do about my hernia ( fundoplacation being considered) bur would love to have been more informed earlier on about whT could cause heartburn etc.... From pregancy to being diagnosed 25 years later I accepted it as a fact of life. More info to the masses I say, about the importance of not eating late etc etc ... Thank you barretts for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.