Barrett's Oesophagus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Barrett's Oesophagus and am being treated using Lansoprazole tablets. My qustion is how does one soothe the burning effect in the throat?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Lansoprazole should reduce the acid and therefore any burning sensation attributable to acid induced oesophagitis within a couple of weeks.

Specific throat irritation may be attributable more to reflux than acid. Follow the lifestyle guidelines to reduce reflux.

For topical relief / soothing of throat inflammation, many find "natural" demulcents help. See the "Natural" remedies pages of www DownWithAcid org uk.

• Posted

I strongly advise against acid reducing and acid blocking medications ie. Tums, prilosec, zantac, protonix, nexium. The reason why is that it is not natural for the body to not have enough or any acid. It causes mal-absorption of vitamins and minerals. This then results in a multitude of problems such as b- 12 deficiency causing peripheral neuropathy, Vitamin D deficiency, iron deficiency anemia and low iron stores. PICA, magnesium deficiency causing restless leg syndrome, osteoarthritis, and any number of other health problems from lack of ability to absorb nutrients. The reason I know this is because this is what happened to me. I quit the acid reducing and blocking drugs. It hasn't been easy. I am now working on healing my digestion with probiotics, digestive enzymes, vitamins, losing weight, and changing my diet. It is a slow process but makes a lot more sense to me than the destruction that those drugs cause. In the interim, pickle juice and olive juice help with the heart burn. Also sour kraut, garlic and I am still researching. I'm sure you already know about sleeping with a wedge instead of flat, and not eating several hours before bed, etc.
    • Posted

In many of these conditions there is excess acid and medications simply bring it down to normal level. These medications are vital in a large number of patients and you should not put people off of them as they can be life saving. They can protect against GI ulcers, which can bleed and perferate, making a person very ill. They can also reduce the risk of oesophageal cancers.

J

• Posted

Visit the www BarettsWessex org uk site and find the page on "PPI dangers" (under the Treatments / Drugs tab) .

Most of the scare stories of PPIs are based upon misuse or correllation (which is not the same thing as causation) .

Many studies have shown PPIs probably protect against the development of cancer.

The page referred to has all the refernces to the actual studies.

• Posted

Correct. PPIs are doing this for me, was on zantac 150mg daily and had gastritis because they did not reduce the amount of acid as they should have. Now am OK with 20mg panto, daily. for the rest of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.