barretts cured ??

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 years had barretts , last endoscopy Barretts gone, still have GERD and erosions at lower end of esophagus and scarring. Gastroenterologist told me 4 days ago that the  latest reports show PPis reverses metaplastic Barretts. Even though I only took PPis for 3 months after being dX with barretts.(in 2015) . Last endoscopy a week ago showed no Barretts. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I meant 3 years ago had Barretts
  • Posted

Coincidentally, I had an endoscopy last week and my Barretts too was gone after three years. I was like, what??? BUT, I had gastritiis on the esophagus and upper stomach. I believe that's from the alleve I am taking for back pain, one every 12 hours, intermittent. 

I found this so funny that we both got rid of our Barretts in 3 years. Is it gone for good?

• Posted

Glenn  I was told last week by gastro that under no circumstances to take NSAIDs, either take Panadol Advance or take soluble solpadeine (which seems extreme). He even wrote that on my Gastroscopy findings report. Glenn if the Panadol doesn't cut it try solpadeine?   

• Posted

All my biopsies were negative this last time also?!!! I was only diagnosed in April though so 2nd endoscopy was 3 months later. Maybe first wasn’t correct?? Weird. Anyway it’s good news!! Congrats! 
  • Posted

Wow, that is great news, I've had Barratts for 4 years, and taking PPIs, sometimes I have thought of just stopping them as I don't know if they are making any difference or not.  My consultant said they were now going to stop doing any more endoscopes for me, which is worrying as I wont know if its getting better or worse, but great to hear that it can be reversed.  Congratulations.

• Posted

Larraine perhaps you can talk to him and explain that if your Barretts has gone maybe you can stop PPis and you would like another endoscopy to confirm??
  • Posted

I am so glad others have had similar results with PPi. On the downside they found bile reflux and metaplastic cells in stomach but gastroenterologist wasn't too concerned and told to keep on taking gaviscon advanced at night. So hoping these cells may also revert !!!

• Posted

Thanks, Shaq, for that info... I've been taking the Alleve almost regularly for my low back problem. My gastro doc did not tell me to get off of them although he said the alleve is probably causing the gastritis in the espophagus and upper stomach area. Kind of odd. No Barretts this time but gastritis from Alleve. I am going to have another conversation with him and mention what you said. Thanks again!

• Posted

Let us know what your Dr's response was. I for one would be interested to know if he pooh poohs that theory. But it makes sense as I have been taking Celebrex (among other NSAIDS) for the past 18 months for severe pains from an autoimmune disease I have before I got diagnosed with the cell changes in the upper part of the stomach 

• Posted

This is very interesting, Shaq, because Celebrex was the only NSAID that gave me some relief from back pain. My doctor took me off Celebrex shortly after the cardio warnings came out that certain NSAIDS, including Celebrex caused all sorts of problems. If I had to pick my so called poison, it would be Celebrex. 

Anyway, I will fill you in on the doctor's response to Alleve. I'm willing to be my gastritis/inflammation in the upper stomach is from the alleve. No question. 

Have a good day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.