Bartholin Cysts - advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 43 and have recurring BC's or abscesses. I've had three marcuprialisations plus numerous flare ups that have required antibiotics to clear them up. Today, I have had the 'brilliant' end to my troubles Word Catheter fitted. I left hospital this afternoon feeling positive. This particular bout began on 26 November. I went to hospital and was prescribed Augmentin. All good! 1 day after finishing the course, boom, a bigger more painful cyst appeared. Things began well back on antibiotics, then 4 days in, the cyst started getting bigger. I phoned my GP who phoned the hospital. After spending most of the day there, and ending up with the Catheter, it's dropped out in bed tonight. I'm beginning to lose the will to live! What should I do now? Any personal advice from personal experience would be so welcome 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Your next step is to go to a Gynocology oncologist. Bartholin gland removal. You're old enough that they will prefer to remove it so it doesn't become cancerous.

I am 12 weeks post op and couldn't be happier about removing the gland. Yes there is pain, discomfort. But better then having the cysts any day!!

I also suggest having your gyno refer you to the oncologist asap. The sooner the better.

Oh! And when they went in to take mine out, found that the scar tissue surrounding the gland was so horrible that they removed all that too, which it sounds like you will experience as well.

Good luck and message back with any questions!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and excellent advice. I know there's huge amounts of scar tissue.... I have read up on the gland removal, and that's definitely the best way forward. I will be pushing for it.  I'm at the end of my tether with it all. Anyway, you get 100% well soon! Thanks again x

• Posted

Sorry hanzie,my last operation was 7years back and have never had any absence again,it's because they gave me a dice cut and it allowed da wound to drain well,but if they keep cutting it in a line it will reoccure again and again

• Posted

Thank you. Yep, always a straight cut.... Don't I know it! Makes sense as to why I get so many!! x

• Posted

I would definitely recommend the gland removal surgery. I'm about 10 weeks post op and feel it was the best decision I have made.

• Posted

What's worked for me the last two times has been an Epsom salt compress. I've suffered reoccurring BC's for about 7 or so years, thankfully not to often, but maybe 6 or 7 during that time. Most of mine lasted at least a couple of weeks. The first time, I went to the hospital and had it drained but it wasn't a good experience but I ended up bleeding really badly when the doctor accidentally nicked a blood vessel. After that, I did my own research and tried all kinds of things.

I had one a couple of months ago and didn't have access to a tub to soak in, as I'd usually use Epsom salts in the bath tub. After about a week and a half, it still hadn't gone away. Read on this site about Epsom salt compresses and decided to try that. I bought the kind you'd normally use in a bath and made a "paste" of it. You don't need a lot of water and my "paste" was still pretty lumpy and granulated. I used a cotton pad like the kind you'd use to take off make-up... The small round or square ones. I put a bunch of paste on there and tucked it right up against the cyst and just went about my business. Everytime I went to the bathroom, I'd change the compress. It's nice if you heat the Epsom salts a bit before making the compress.

Within 24 hours, the cyst burst and drained almost completely!!! Actually, thankfully it burst while I was going to the bathroom, as there was a lot of fluid.The most recent cyst occurred a couple of days ago and I did the same thing and, again, within 24 hours, the cyst burst and drained. Both times I showered shortly after and massaged the area a bit to make sure it was completely drained.

I thought the first time, it might have been a fluke, but this last time, I tried the compress as soon as I felt the lump and it worked just as quickly as last time.From now on, I'll skip all the other suggestions like serrapeptase, silica and tea tree oil and go right to the Epsom salt compress!!!

Oh, you'll probably want to wear a pad to keep things tidier, especially when the cyst bursts. I don't know if this works for everyone, but it certainly worked for me, and VERY quickly!

Good luck. Hope this works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.