Bartholin gland removal never again....

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my experience of a bartholin gland removal has been the worst experience of my life. 5 weeks today since I had it removed and still in agony...

The surgery went well and was due to be released after I'd taken a wee and had something to eat but it went downhill. 2 hours after coming round from the anesthetic the pain hit me, excruciating pain, worse than childbirth. I had the doctor, nurses, Healthcare assistance all in my room, injected with anti sickness drug in my leg, given oral morphine which didn't work and so the doctor sat with me and administered morphine through the needle in my hand which eased the pain eventually.

After an overnight stay due to being in so much pain I was released with strong painkillers which made me sick, then given different ones which to made me sick so had no choice but to just use paracetamol, I then was unable to have a bowel movement so day six I was issued movicol which did work but oh my worked a little to well, not fun having to try and run to the loo when in so much pain.

A week after surgery I was still in pain, unable to sit down only able to lie on my side and found a very large lump close to where the gland was removed it was established that I had developed a hematoma. The surgeon said it would go in time and he didn't want to interfere to soon to prevent an infection, well 3 days later I couldn't cope anymore with the pain and so the surgeon syringed out bruised blood not alot but I hoped that it would do the trick but in actual fact it made it 10xs worse, I had 2 needle pricks on my bum cheek and I bled really bad for 12 hours solid it was awful but then my left bum cheek bruised severely resulting in the hematoma increasing in size.

I then developed an infection to which I was given 2 lots of antibiotics, a week later the pain was still as bad and so the doctor then gave me cream to apply, week later my pain is still about an 8 and my vagina is burning like crazy, back to the doctor and was told that they couldn't see any infection and their not sure what else to suggest, they did give me more pills but if they don't work then they can't help me. Upset doesn't come close I know my body and I know that I'm burning and it wouldn't burn for the sake of it.

The lip where I had the gland removed is still tender and on my inner thigh.

I still cannot sit down as the hematoma is still there, smaller but still there and as it's a solid lump it is just painful to sit on.

I'm driving but am having to use a swimming ring so my bottom isn't touching the seat.

So I'm now on my 5th week of recovery and cannot see a light at the end of my tunnel at the moment, it's a good job I'm not working right now.

Did anyone else have the burning feeling if so what was your diagnosis?

I'm glad I did have it done as I know that it won't come back but I never invisaged experiencing all of this pain still and all the complications I've had.

This is just my experience and with every surgery everyone is different, some have Mo problems and some like me has everything thrown at them.

The thought of Sex turns my tummy that is mist definitely the last thing on my mind at the moment.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Teresa,

First I'm so so sorry this has happened to you! I had my left glad removed 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I just started having enough relief so I can move around, drive and finally lay on my back. I have a hematoma as well, about 3/4 inch in diameter. Still bleeding quite a bit...going through about 3 pads per day. The things that have been helping me is icing it. Using the squeeze bottle everytime I pee. I have been taking probiotics and 2 spoons of fiber every morning with my orange juice. I was giving a dose of antibiotics at the hospital but that is it, as antibiotics can bind people up as well as narcotics. I shower about twice a day and use the detachable shower head gently down there. The different modes help loosen the tissue to help the scar tissue and to help the blood flowing. I have only used the medicine they gave me 5 times and it was for night time. I was given Nucynta 50mg. It makes me very loopy tired which is perfect because I get so uncomfortable at night I tense up. Because in pain and can't sleep. So this stuff definitely helped me. Your body needs that sleep to heel properly.

The other thing that could help you be a bit more comfortable is to take neproxin...it's a muscle relaxer...that could help your leg and your vagine.

Again I am sorry! Please stay in touch on how you're doing. I hope I may have helped a bit atleast as I can only tell you what works for me.

-Jess

• Posted

Hi Jess, thankyou for replying, I've come to the conclusion that it's the hematoma that is causing me the problems now, I look at it everyday just to check all as it should be and it looks gone apart from a red patch between my vagina and bottom but I reckon it's where the lump is pushing and as there isn't a lot of skin there and I was cut when I had my son 13 years ago it may just be weak. That's what I reckon.

I've been putting tea tree oil on it and massaging the lump in the hope it will finally start to disperse.

• Posted

Is the burning feeling like, inside, or on the skin? I know with one of my cysts (previous to having it removed) the skin just got so sore and raw that it burned like a really bad diaper rash.
    • Posted

It's hard to establish exactly where it is if that makes sense, but I know I feel it just above my wee hole and around also that small patch of skin between my vagina and bottom, and just inside, the hematoma really hurts now and almost like it's pushing in towards the side of my vagina.

• Posted

Like Debbeth said, tea tree oil is great! I've heard some people didn't like it, and if the burning is on your skin it will only make it worse. Sometimes when mine got swollen, it he friction and everything going on down there but the skin super sensitive and burn-y. For that I used desitin (diaper cream lol) and it helped an awful lot. I'd recommend either, depending on what the cause of the burning is.

• Posted

Possibly yes, I've bought some tea tree oil and mixed it with coconut oil and wiped it over my bits and bobs so will see what happens.

The results come back from my swob taken on Monday and they are clear so no infection. I just wish I knew what was causing the burn and pain.

• Posted

Cyrah asks a great question. Depending on answer you could try a natural safe alternative such as tea tree oil (maleluca) one to two drops on finger and apply over hematoma will dissolve and rid blood blister infection you name it. If it's raw then it may burn to much to put oil on there. It's a powerful oil. Plus it will rid you of any unwanted smells down there. I've had Bartholin cysts many times over and surgeries to remove them. I recently discovered the tea tree oil and depending on size it can dissolve it within 24 hours. My one surgery was nowhere near as bad as your experience but recovery was about 3 weeks and the pain was 😰Awful. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!!!! Witch hazel is also good to bathe in if you don't like tea tree oil

• Posted

I don't have either of those, all I know is that I'm so down in the dumps as I'm getting one thing after another and fed up with it all now.

• Posted

I was very lucky to have an amazing surgeon who took time and care to research any condition that may make this surgery inoperable. Once removed cleaned the did do a little explority while there make sure my body was good. When home I had no pain killers and it burned and hurt so badly I did want to cry. I was issues lidocaine to numb the area and within a few weeks I was clear. I do know that hemotomas can be reabsorbed into the body so normally they try not to mess with them because of additional problems. This surgery is no fun or easy for anyone but always get answers to all questions ahead of time because if they don't know I'd get a surgeon who did . just my thoughts tho

• Posted

So an update. Still have the burning feeling and now accompanied by pain, after x amount of pills and ointments from the doctors nothing is working. I couldn't cope with the pain anymore so took myself down to the out of hours doctors who have now prescribed me another 10 day course of co-amoxiclav fingers crossed this begins to kick it in the button. I have my follow up appointment with the surgeon in Tuesday and my mum wants to come to make sure everything is said and done for me to get me back on my feet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.