Batholin cyst marsupialization healing time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm so sad because I had a doctor basically force me to get the marsupialization procedure when I only wanted it drained. I had one on a different side years ago that was drained and never return but a new doctor told me marsupialization is the only permanent treatment. Anyway, procedure was done 5 days ago. Swelling is pretty much gone and also no pain but I'm just wondering if the hole he cut is still going to heal more or its pretty much set where it is, because it looks hugh to me! I can't even find the outlet on my other side and this one looks like I could fit a pencil in it. Great and a for drainage but what the ??? when I start intercourse again I'm afraid it's going to freak my boyfriend out.

So frustrating because although the procedure fixed my cyst I felt like it was unnecessary to be so invasive. It was the first cyst I had on this gland. sad

Also it seems people at waiting 4-6 weeks before sex? Was anyone able to start before that successfully??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'd love any advice on this too please!

I had my bartholin's cyst removed 3 months ago and I still have a hole from where they performed the incision. The stitches have completely gone and there's no drainage or discharge coming from it. I'm too embarrassed to have sex with my partner because it looks horrible and I'm worried that I'll have the hole forever now sad 

• Posted

It sounds like you may have had a marsupilization as well, not just drainage. They make a new permanant hole. I think they made mine too big. Sounds like yours is large too and yes I'm also embarrassed! 
    • Posted

Yes I had a marsuplization! When did you have yours done and has the hole decreased in size? I'm worried that I'm going to have a massive hole forever sad
    • Posted

I had mine done about three weeks ago. I'm not sure if the hole is getting smaller. It is still pretty visible and clearly a hole. On a positive note, I don't really have much pain there altho I can still feel some skin pulling during intercourse.... I did start having sex and have not had any problems, so I guess that is good at least.
  • Posted

I had two marsupialization about eight weeks ago. On my third cyst (two were abscessed and very painful) I said, "that's enough of that!" I feel so much better. My doctor said to wait on sex until my two week follow up. I still wasn't healed by that time so he said to give it two more weeks. I went back at four weeks because the stitches were still bothering me. He removed them and felt so much better! He said it was well healed and I could have sex at any time I felt comfortable. So it was about five weeks for me because honestly I was a little scared.

This is my feeling about how it looks, and I'm married so I know this is a little different, but if your guy really cares about you, it's not going to matter. And really, most guys are just happy to be down there and they're not carrying a flashlight with them.

Good luck girls. The whole thing kinda sucks.

• Posted

I had the marsupialization about eight weeks ago. On my third cyst (two were abscessed and very painful) I said, "that's enough of that!" I feel so much better. My doctor said to wait on sex until my two week follow up. I still wasn't healed by that time so he said to give it two more weeks. I went back at four weeks because the stitches were still bothering me. He removed them and felt so much better! He said it was well healed and I could have sex at any time I felt comfortable. So it was about five weeks for me because honestly I was a little scared.

This is my feeling about how it looks, and I'm married so I know this is a little different, but if your guy really cares about you, it's not going to matter. And really, most guys are just happy to be down there and they're not carrying a flashlight with them.

Good luck girls. The whole thing kinda sucks.

• Posted

Hi thanks for sharing your experience. I had disolvable stitches so actually no scheduled follow-up? 

I can just clearly see and feel the hole with myself, it feels kind of weird having an addtional hole down there. 

• Posted

Sorry for my duplicate posts. I couldn't figure out how to delete one.
  • Posted

Hi I have a question on marsupialization. Could the gland get infected by getting bacteria throught the hole when going to community pools or lakes, etc?

• Posted

I'm not sure but it seems like mine could get more infected now, since after the marsupialization my duct is much larger! So if you find the answer to this, I would be interested to know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.