Became allergic to many foods after an infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over an year ago I became infected with something. The infection was VERY painful started of as eye infection, then became a respiratory infection, then became a digestive system infection, then became a UTI and pehaps more. I'm left with many many perplexing symptoms which confounds my doctors too. One of my symptoms is allergic rection to majority of foods I eat. After I eat certain foods I get itching in the back of my throat, itching over my entire body and sometimes a rash. Antihistamines are effective in treating the the itching.

One of the symptoms of infection was similar to symptoms of allergy itself: uncontrollable sneezing. When I sneezed I sneezed uncontrollably for over fifteen times. Do you think this infection caused like some kind of autoimmune disorder in my body?

Some of my other problems(which also started afterinfection) are digestive system disturbances, thyroid abnomalities, tachycardia, weight loss. I was checked for celiac(negative).

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sounds most awful, poor you.

I had some problems like you but nowhere as bad as yours.

I was tested for celiac ( negative)

But another blood test proved intolerant to gluten, wheat, dairy, milk

You could be intolerant  to any of these foods.

Perhaps you could start by going on a gluten and lactose free diet.

It's all trial and error

Best wishes

• Posted

Have you used steroids in the process? If so please look into TSW/RSS (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome/ red skin syndrome)

Have you had prick tests?

I'd suggest keeping a journal. Note everything in it, what you eat, how it was prepared or cooked, products used in the house, personal care products, where you went, who you were around, and when your symptoms flair or happen. Hopefully you'll find a correlation

God bless

• Posted

I was given the steroid Perdnisolone to take by mouth(pills) for one month or so for the uncontrollable sneezing. I have not applied steroids topically.

I have not had prick tests yet but my physcian did say he was going to refer me for some allergy testing.

I am from India and our foods include: mixtures of vegetables and spices(curries), chapatis(wheat), pulses etc etc. I dont eat any non-veg except for eggs.

Because we eat a mixture of stuff it becomes dififfcult to pinpoint the allergens.

One of the foods that I have become allergic to seems to be chocalate. I will sometimes have a reaction upon eating chocalate (itching in throat and pruritus).

• Posted

Oxalic

You must find out if you are intolerant  to Gluten, wheat or milk (lactose)

I was found to be in 2004 and now feel so much better.

Chocolate  gives me itchy throat and makes me cough so does bananas, chillies, milled black pepper

Don't take medications if you can help it.

I am from the channel islands and Indian food is my favorite, minus the sauces and chillies of course.

best wishes

• Posted

To my knowledge I am not intolerant to wheat, gluten and lactose. In fact these three are some of my staple food. I know many people slam gluten and wheat products but I tolerate these food products just fine.

I get allergic reaction to some chocolates and instant noodles. I am also allergic to namkeen which is a spicy food routinely eaten here.

What medications I shouldn't take?

• Posted

I think it is far better not to take any medcations you should try and sort out your problems with eating the right foods. All the more reason to have allergy and intolerances tests then you will know for sure.

I don't know instant noodles, what are they made of? (gluten maybe) and chocolates, are they not made with milk.

I would push your physcian to get your tests done.

I really hope you can work this out Oxalic

Best wishes

• Posted

I am not fond of medications either but what can I do the illnesses beat me into submission.
    • Posted

Dear Oxalic.

It is very difficult to know which way to turn?.

I believe you when you say your doctor feels the same way, so with that in mind I would try and ask him again to do these tests,or at least ask to be refered.

Some doctors are against doing intolerance tests for gluten, I know, so you have to insist. Meanwhile make a list of everything you eat/drink and compere how you feel from day to day.

Sometimes carbonated drinks are loaded with sugar and they are bad for us all if you drink too much, perhaps that may be a problem with you. Best to drink plenty of good clean water instead!!!!!!

Stress can also upset your body and give you tachycardia I know i've been there,

We really do have to listen to our bodies and act upon it.

My husband will cough when eating and then he can sneeze up to six, seven or eight times most days and he has done for years. He does not take anything for it an insists it's the climate here??? silly perhaps, but who knows.

In the meantime perhaps keep on with your pills and see how the sneezing is after the month is up whilst you are getting yourself sorted.

All the best Oxalic

• Posted

Pat,

The sneezing was a thing of the past now I no longer sneeze. I used to sneeze uncontrollably when the infection got into my lungs and it was horribly painful.

Obviously I know stress/anxiety can cause tachycardia but my tachycardia is different. It is exercise induced. When I exercise my pulse rises from 60 to 120 per minute but it doesn't come back down for the entire day. It gets stuck up there at 100 beats per minute. As a result of this I no longer exercise which I loved to do.

Thanks for all your help Pat.

• Posted

Rss can happen from oral steroids. It can increase your allergies.

Best luck with your prick tests.

Yes that's why keeping a journal helps.

That's interesting. Chocolate is high in nickel. Look into systemic nickel allergy disease.

• Posted

Just to clear up, intolerances are completely different to allergies. The op listed allergies not intolerance.
    • Posted

Unfortunately medication only masks symptoms. The damage done to your body will continue. It's best to certain what's causing the allergic reactions or symptoms. Whilst allergy tests are deeply unreliable, prick tests are the ones which give least false results.

• Posted

Does anyone know `if excessive antibiotic usage can give rise to allergies? I was overmedicated when I had the infection. The following antibiotics were used

Ciprofloxacin

Augmentin

Ceftriaxone

Cefexime

Ofloxacin

My white blood count was elevated and I had ESR of 50 during the start of infection.

• Posted

Does anyone know `if excessive antibiotic usage can give rise to allergies? I was overmedicated when I had the infection. The following antibiotics were used

Ciprofloxacin

Augmentin

Ceftriaxone

Cefexime

Ofloxacin

My white blood count was elevated and I had ESR of 50 during the start of infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.