Been told I had IBS, but not so sure?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this but I don't know if anyone has been having something similar or could help...

I've been having quite a severe pain in my left side for about 8 years now. I'm 21 year old female. I might be wrong but it seemed to have started happening when I began starving myself to lose weight (I don't have an eating disorder, I've never been underweight or anything). It's towards my back area and is a dull/ burning/ stabbing pain that can become very sharp and make me feel sick. I went to the docs about it, they immediately said, having heard me talk for about 3 mins that it was IBS and prescribed me Buscopan which didn't do much. Though I may have IBS, I would have thought the pain wouldn't  just be consentrated to one area? And would happen after I ate? This only seems to happen when I don't eat for a few days, then worsens when I eventually eat something. Also sometimes, sounds weird but if I breathe out on an empty stomach it will make a gurgling sound, which if I press on it, will pop.

Another thing when I don't eat is that I get severe leg pains, EXACTLY like growing pains which keep me up all night. The only time when they've eased is once when my boyfriend offered me a heat pack and that worked! Weird. I did research and thought maybe it's potassium deficiency - which is scary! I know I'm deficient in lots of things, have bendy nails that break and curve, and know that my dietry habits have been so detrimental to my health, I used to be so healthy sad 

Thanks for taking the time to read through that! It's long I know!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you must do is to eat normally. Have small nutritious meals and take a multiple vitamin. Your eating habits or lack of them is causing a nutritional defficiency. Then if the pain doesn't go away it may be time to see a gastroenterologist to have a colonoscopie in order to make sure there isn't a disease issue. I believe it is caused by poor nutritian our bodies have a limit as to how much they can handle before bad stuff starts to happen so please eat right. Now in my case I used to get severe cramps on the lower left side after eating if I did anything active such as a brisk walk. I later found out that it is Crohn's disease however it several years and massive bleeding before the doctors were able to figure it out. I don't think you have this just need to eat properly. Try improving your diet and see if the problem goes away if not see a gastro as I stated. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I know I should start eating properly, and as I get older realise the need, I was thinking of this before you've said and see if the problems persist with a proper diet. I wondered if it was something to do with my pancreas. However, you mention cramping after eating... I get this too. At times gets so painful that it seems to migrate towards my back and I have to sit down.  

I hope you managed to get the crohn's under control

.. all the best!

• Posted

I know this sounds strange,but as you are constantly starving yourself are your periods regular and normal?

As Craig says you need first to get a grip on a good and regular diet,but sometimes a diet such as yours can cause the periods to become erratic and this could be a cause for your pain. 

• Posted

My periods are completely irregular - I'd say I have one every 2 months and sometimes go without for 3! Doctors said it was PCOS :S

I'm not overweight and the times I go without food are often a week every month or so, so it's not as bad as it sounds, but maybe it's an accumulation I'm not sure. A year ago though I went quite drastic and lost about 2 stone in a month so may be recovering my nutrition still from that..  

• Posted

Did the doctors who diagnosed PCOS know you were starving yourself? If they didnt then it would sound like PCOS. If you have PCOS you may have more hair on your face than you would like,but if you dont then I'm guessing its all down to your bad diet.     Its all part of natures survival plan. If you are lacking food you are not in a good position to have babies so nature shuts down your reproduction system.   Work on a good balanced diet and most things will resolve. You probably need to see a dietician .   Have you received counselling for your diet problems?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.