Been told I have gallstones, but won’t have surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

in March, I woke up at 6am with a very sharp pain in my side. it was so bad i went to A&E.

i was only there for 3 hours when i was seen and the nurse right away told me i probably have gallstones and that I’ll need to phone my GP for them to book me a scan and blood tests.

I had my scan Wednesday and the nurse said she could see I have gallstones.

I phoned my GP on the Friday. He said “I can see you have a few small gallstones and one large one. Your gallbladder looks fine” (he talked about a build up on the inside which I don’t have) he also said I won’t be having surgery.

We talked about the side effects I’m having. I’m urinating a lot, and I have diarrhoea…which I have had for a month now.

The pain is random and not after fatty food or after I eat. The pain goes away when I lay down or bend over. But if I bend down it shows up. I started to have pain in my male area which I told my GP and he didn’t really say anything about it?

The dr said none of this is associated with gallstones and he wants me to have more tests done.

I’m in my early 30's. I use to work out with a PT once a week, and everyday at the gym for an hour, I can’t do that anymore. Because the pain is so bad. And I’m worried I’m going to make it worse.

When the pain started, it lasted for 3 hours. But since then the pain will last maybe 10 minutes maximum.

I don’t understand why he said I have gallstones but they won’t do surgery, or any type of medical treatment/medicine to help?

I’ve tried fiber pills and Imodium but that won’t stop the diarrhoea. My diet is mixed between heathy and unhealthy. But I switched it to high fiber to trying and stop the diarrhoea but it hasn’t helped. Has anyone had the same problems and fixed it?

Does working out help you or make it worse?

I do think all this pain is coming from my gallstones and nothing else. I know it’s only been a month and I’ve seen a lot of people live with this for years…but it’s been a month of hell. I hardly leave my bed when I’m not at work.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Doctors can get it wrong. Don't settle for that, go back and ask to speak to another doctor. You shouldn't have to suffer.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.