Before operation tests

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi had tests taken couple of weeks ago on my weight loss, went for my pre med this week , and they said they wanted more tests done before they do hip replacement , I'm not sure how long all this will take, not sure what more tests , can be done that have not already , and to be honest the next time I go to hospital will have to book an ambulance because I can not get in and out of car now , depressed is understatement , seems to be one thing after another anyway folks have any of you any ideas what these tests can be , and could they actually stop me getting my hip replaced barry

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Depends on what you had done before ....

urine test to check for diabetes and kidney function,

blood tests to check your blood type,

MRSA swabs

ECG heart trace. 

Questions on :-

general health

relevant previous illnesses,

previous operations,

previous anaesthetics,

allergies,

your preference relating to blood transfusion. 

current pills, medicines, inhalers and any herbal or over-the-counter medicines

smoking

alcohol intake.

weight - BMI index under 30 is recommended in UK.

Graham

• Posted

Great post, Graham and I really like the way your website is looking - wish It had been there when I had my firet hip op!  Have you thought about an FAQ section?

Linnet x

• Posted

that should be first not firet (!) 
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean - I wish it had been there before I started too.  That is why i started it - to help all those other people that we know are going to be following us through this maze.  And I knew it would help me get over my own 'little problem' with my stuck insert.  There is nothing like seeing other people's problems to put your own problems into perspective.

I think the whole website is a 'FAQ' anout hip replacement really.

Just been out for a short 'stickless walk' in the wind, very tiring.

Graham

• Posted

No meds of any kind been working in a quarry 6 days a week , until they stopped me a couple of weeks ago, no previous illness no previous operations , I've been very lucky up until this last year 65 years of age 5 foot 10 don't smoke occasional beer which I've told them about ,,,
    • Posted

So pleased you are making good progress, its been a lovely bright day, we've been in the garden again but ruddy cold. 😳

I think you deserve a thoroughly good rest after your stickless walk - well done Graham. Sometimes its easy to forget stalwarts like you who have been through a lot but still dispense so much good advice to others. 👍

Linnet xx

• Posted

Thanks Linnet - hope you are OK, Like you, it is so nice to get out and about, even if it is in the cold.
  • Posted

Hi Barry

Try to keep your spirits up, I know how hard that can be when you are in pain and desperate to have the operation done but its much better that they ensure you are fit enough to have the op.

Hope you are taking meds for the pain?

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Linnet xx

• Posted

Was the weight loss deliberate ready for the op?
    • Posted

No been slowly losing weight for last couple of years weigh about 8 1/2 stone now they started treating me for a bad back last April then consultant said it was hip 😒

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.