Bells palsy pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi i was diagnosed with bells palsy last week in the last two days i have the most horrendous pain in my bones on my face is this normal !!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello!

id like to first say that i have been diagnosed with bells palsy on 4/28/2018 i am one of the few that has had a severe case i also experienced pain near my ear and jawnever had pain like that in my life Unfortunately it is normal. The pain that you are experiencing is caused by your nerves since thUnfortunately it is normal. The pain that you are experiencing is caused by your nerves since they have been affected causing the Bell’s palsy. your 7th cranial nerve to be exact there is nothing that helped me with that pain once the nerve starts to heal the pain subsides

i am happy to say that after a year of this nightmare, my pain is gone and i have about 85% movement i am still healingmy only advice is to rest and place a heating pad on your face i am here for you for emotional support if you need mealways remember.... this too shall pass xoxoxo

• Posted

i've had Bells Palsy twice. The first episode I had was only partial paralysis and no pain at all. The second was complete paralysis and the pain was awful. I would say the nerve pain varies based on the severity of the paralysis. The pain was mostly in my jaw, by my ear, and my cheek. Felt like I got punched in the face.

Make sure you take the steroids and antivirals. I also took gabapentin which is for nerve pain but it didn't do anything for me. Acupuncture and warm compresses helped though. I also increased my vitamin intake. They believe there is a link between vitamin deficiencies and neurological disorders. I increased vitamin B and D as well as niacin.

• Posted

i also took the steroids and anti viral meds also vitamins, stopped all caffeine and alcohol and kept my diet healthy trying to not let stress affect me anymore i did acupuncture but that was too painful for me a year later i feel a little more confident with my smile i do seem to still experience muscle tightness and my eye closes slightly when i move my mouth. Ive come a long way but still not fully healed.

• Posted

The pain you are experiencing is a part of this nasty disease. It affects people differently. Hopefully it won't last too long for you. Keep your eye covered at night and fight through this.

• Posted

I didn't have pain but it took 9 months to recover although I still have swelling around the eye. I'm replying so that I can tell you what really helped me. You should exercise the face muscles every day. I saw a video on u tube that I emulated. Go to a chiropractor who will give you many exercises to do. I wish someone had told me this.

• Posted

Hello I have had it for three months and two weeks now. Yes within first few weeks I had severe pain around my ear and down the neck, for which I was advised to take ibuprofen. It went away for a while and no longer pained me. My face looked more even around week five, though I still have trouble fully closing my eye, some words still sound like I have bad pronunciation, chewing is still very much a one sided effort and I feel the weight one my right side jaw area. However at this time now 3mths 2wks in, though the bells is not so visual now. I still feel the odd pain sensation around the bones on my cheek from the ear down to the chinny chin chin.. It can be intense and stop me in my tracks, a severe deep aching feeling and slightly bruised to touch. To help at this time the doc has prescribed me Amitriptyline to use once at night when I feel the ache coming on.

Just to note I had Bells when I was kid, either 9 or 10 yrs old, my and I mother cannot remember exactly, we do remember it only last just over two weeks then. I did not have it a severe as this time. Trouble eating, hearing dulled, keeping food/liquids in, taste buds severely affected, chewing difficult, watery eye (morning) or stiff dry eye (late noon, end of day). I will be having an MRI, by the time of my appt, four months in to check for deep tissue nerve damage. Fingers crossed all is ok, as this does feel really weird at times, though I do feel that something deeper is going on at this time.

• Posted

i had pain in the exact same spots and also had bells palsy twice. 1st episode was roughly 3 weeks and only mild paralysis. 2nd episode was about 7 weeks and total paralysis on the opposite side as the 1st episode. i had so much pain in my cheek as if i had been punched and aching pain in my jaw feeling like severe tmj. i had an mri and everything came back normal however my vitamin levels were extremely low so the doctor believes that was primarily the cause. Its been about 1.5 years since my last episode and that side of my face is still weaker than the other but not obviously unless I am tired. My eye still constantly twitches and i feel spasms in the same area of my cheek where i had the constant pain.

Have you been tested for lyme disease?

• Posted

I would be interested to hear how your MRI turns out. Did they see anything out of the ordinary?

• Posted

Hi Sharon24495

I will let you know after 31 Aug, funny time this one, 6.40 pm appt on a Saturday.

Regards

Treacy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.