Benefits: Waiting for PIP decision ... Is there anything I can claim while waiting?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I was my mothers carer for several years & in receipt of income support & carers allowance however in recent years & particularly recent months I have became increasingly Ill myself, eventually to the point that I could no longer provide the care my mother needs. Other family members have stepped in to assist my mother & consequently I am no longer in receipt of either benefit. It has been almost a year since I have had any form of income and my debt is rising. I have several chronic health conditions & as a result im unable to work. I recently received advice from a local law centre & the gentleman there filled in forms to apply for PIP on my behalf. That was several months ago. I called up to check where about my claim was up to & they said it had expired by the time the forms reached them however they decided to re-open the case & it has been passed on to the assessment team so the next stage will be to go for a medical assessment.

I'm becoming further in debt as each day goes by & the stress is having an impact on my health. As this is such a long process I was wondering if there is any kind of financial support I'm entitled to whilst waiting for a claim to be processed please? My concentration is very poor & when I try to "research" I lose track. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kal,

More info is needed please in order for me to help answer your question. Are you single/partner? Children? If you have a partner does he/she work?

• Posted

Hi, Denise.

I'm single, have no children & still live at home with my mother xx

• Posted

HI Kal,

Then you can claim ESA but you'll need a DR's fit/sick note. To claim ESA you'll need to ring them to start your claim off if you think your DR will give you those fit/sick notes. These would need to continue, then if you're put into one of the groups you won't need any more fit/sick notes. Assessment rate is at least 13 weeks. How much you get will depend on your age. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your help Denise, my Gp is very sympathetic to my situation so I'm sure getting a sick note/medical certificate won't be a problem. I'll find the contact details to apply in the morning, thank you once again! Xx

• Posted

Hi.

Contact the CAB they could possibly arrange an emergency loan for you.

Don't borrow money you can't pay back, it will make your worries worse.

Also contact your local council to see if they can help.

Mike.

• Posted

A loan isn't really the greatest idea when Kal is already in debt. I'm not sure CAB would advice a loan either to be honest.

• Posted

Hi so sorry that your un well,I think if you could sort your debts  it would help if you go to step change or some free organisation that can help you..it will make your mood better if you get your debts sorted. Regards karen
  • Posted

Hi I have had to finish work because of my health. I have filled all the pip form sent it back that was in March as yet I've had no response and I need some financial support while I'm waiting I have got debt to pay. what help can I get.

• Posted

Hello sandra,

You've asked your question on a thread that's 4 years old so it would have been better to start your own thread.

It can potentially take several months or more to have a decision on your PIP claim, i know backlogs at the moment are huge across most of the country.

Whether you're entitled to any other benefits will totally depend on your circumstances and as you've not given any information it's impossible to give any advice. I'd advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.