Best Testing for diagnosis of Cushing's.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am going to be tested for Cushing's disease. I was wondering what is the most accurate or best way doctors can test a patient for Cushing's. I have a choice between a dexamethasone suppression test, and a 24 hour urine test. My morning blood cortisol had previously came back normal.

Also if anyone would like to talk to me through private messages about Cushing's and give me some advice i'd like that.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I recently tested for Cushing's

They say the urine test is good

I would do that if I had the choice.

• Posted

You can pm me if you'd like

I know about certain tests

Good luck

• Posted

Hi

I had a ACTH producing pituitary tumour removed in Feb this year.  The diagnosis of the tumour was incidental, I was taken to the emergency room for gastro and headaches that would not move and a CAT scan was performed.

The tumour was over 2cm but had grown down away from the optical chasm.  I was tested for Cushings via cortisol and was told.....all negative so the weight gain (30 kg in a year) was due to "lifestyle"...that was devastating.  I almost did not have the surgery.  The surgery went perfectly, no packing or leaks and I was fine, then about 5hrs post surgery I completely crashed and gets showed no cortisol production.  My doctors who are fantastic determined i likely had cyclical Cushing's where most of the time my cortisol was really high but occasionally (and on the test day) they were normal. So re moon face going and going...why not.

My tumour was shown to be expressing very high levels of ACTH.  I am currently weaning from prednisone (cortisol didn't cut it) and its been incredibly hard. My worry is Im approaching theoretical physiological levels and no weight lost.  Completely devastating.

?Anyone else had similar...I need to know the weight will come off.?

• Posted

THE proper test is all tests! It’s extremily important that a patient undergo atch stimulation, dex suppressant, blood serum, midnight saliva, atch. And repeat repeat repeat! Please look up cycilic cushings. Too often people are misdiagnosed due to this. 
    • Posted

Hi I have only had one 24 hour urine test and one blood test. Both came back normal but I have have all the tell tales symptoms of Cushing. Do you think this is enough test. Because I'm sure I am been fobed off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.