Big black circle after laser for retinal tear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey! I had laser treatment for a small retinal hole,, 34 shots on a pheripheral hole 6 days ago . Every time I blink or I open my eyes after they have been closed I see a big black circle on the side of my vision, it dissapear when I move my eyes for a little bit. did anyone else have the same, and did it subside? I'm only 25 and so scared

thank you so much in advance for the responses

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The blackness is where the laser has cauterised the hole on your retina, so you have no sight at these points. That is normal. Your binocular ie 2 eyes together vision will gradually tell your brain not to see the black points and you should see normally. However when you look at printed type just with the treated eye it will probably always look blurry and crooked at these points.

If you are in UK and are a driver you should declare this to the DVLA and your insurance company.

• Posted

why have not so many people experienced it? it seems like no one is experiencing this after the laser and how long do you think it will take until it subside?

• Posted

Most people will experience something like this after laser therapy on the retina. It can take a few weeks to a few months for your brain to adapt. You may also be experiencing a floater caused by the surgery. If it is really bothering you after 3 months or you feel it is getting worse then go back to your doctor or the consultant who did the surgery.

• Posted

so what i am experiencing now, its not a black dot that is there all the time its like a black circle that looks like a eclipe of the sun and it comes in very light enviromemts, white walls, when im blinking and when I open my eyes after having them closed, or dark room with little light. I also see it when I am I sometimes have my eyes closed. Did you experience this and if so, when did it subside?

im just trying to see if we had the same thing

• Posted

Hi, I had laser treatment for 3 retinal tears last summer, and then about a month later I had cryotherapy (freezing to outside edge of eyeball) as the tears had continued to develop and there were now 7 of them. I have continued to see lots of floaters, like a cobweb effect, with other blurry patches/dark wispy blobs that come and go. They are definitely more noticeable against a bright sky or light background but when I am not actively thinking about them I can focus on what I want to look at and they don't impair my vision too much.

The previous person who replied is right, it is really normal to continue to see dots, blobs, circles after treatment and I imagine (although I don't know for sure) that the amount of stuff you see is related to how many tears had to be treated.

I think its really normal to worry like you are. After all, it is your eyes, and they are really important. I went back about 5-6 months after treatment because I thought the floaters had got worse and the tears were back again. Turns out that this wasn't happening and the examination was reassuring. I was also booked for a 6 months follow up, which I didn't have before, so that also made me feel better. I'm fairly young to get retinal tears (although not as young as you) so its good to get a follow up booked in.

I would really urge you to try and get a follow up appointment to talk through these kinds of issues. I felt a bit stupid about going back and wasting people's time, but its better to err on the side of caution. The doctors are used to treating these kinds of conditions all the time, but I think it is easy for them to forget the little details of what the experience is like for those of us who've been treated.

I hope all goes well for you - best of luck.

• Posted

Sir, I'm also facing similar issue. Did your circles resolved? please answer me I am super stressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.