Big lump on hip - no pain - Hip Bursitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - my wife noticed yesterday that I had a very large lump on my right hip. It could have been there a while, I've no idea. I've been looking online and it looks like I may have Hip Bursitis but I have absolutely no pain at all.

I've been taking Ibuprofen and ice packs, which brought the swelling down yesterday but it's grown back overnight.

Can I have Hip Bursitis with no pain?

Thanks, Nick

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The definition of bursitis is inflammation of the bursa around the hip causing pain.  So if it doesn't hurt, there is probably no inflammation, so probably not bursitis.  I'm geussing here, but makes sense.  There could be other explanations.  It could be a cyst, a hematoma, a neuroma or a lipoma.  All somewhat harmless.  Had you recently had a fall or hard blunt force trauma to the hip?  I would visit your GP, let him take a look and feel.  Maybe have an ultrasound or MRI to rule out the rare possibility of a tumour.  My dad had one called a ganglion cyst around his ankle (apparently these are common around joints) it just disappeared on its own.  Good Luck!!
    • Posted

Thanks Jane.  I will book an appointment with my GP.

I have an over zealous 4 year old you likes to beat up Dad, so there is every chance he hit be in the hip but at the time it wasn't obvious.

Thanks, Nick

• Posted

I find that so many posts on the internet end with an open ending, I wanted to ensure that others found this post.  I also intend on starting a new thread on the Lipoma Forum.

as you have now guessed, my lump was a Lipoma although I was petrified it was. Liposcorma.  It was 6 inches long x 4 inches x 2 inches. Thankfully it was a large Lipoma

• Posted

sorry to bother you but could you tell me what the lump felt like..i have just notices a very soft ,painless swelling on my thigh/hip which feels just like soft fat or even just general swelling..I have only just notced it and don't think it was there a few days ago . tia xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.