Big nose bleed, cauterized, but petrified

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear group.

I am a 50 year old male.

For many years I had minor nose bleeds near the front of my nose from the dividing wall. These would stop after 5mins of squeezing and may not happen again for months and then usually as a result of blowing to hard or when i had a cold.

I put this down to having very dry nose, eyes etc.

2 weeks back I blew my nose was a massive nose bleed started. The pressure was unbelivable. It went on for just short of an hour. After I was taken to A&E but by the time they saw me it had almost stopped. I was sent home with Naseptin cream.

A day later I was back in A&E after finding blood running down my throat, but not from the original site.

I had a half pea sized black clot over the big site, this came off to show a little bump with a small pin prick hole just below it Almost under the bone part of my nose but still on the middle wall.

I had an ENT referal and saw a consultant Friday just gone (30th Oct 15) He said I had an arterial bleed and that it needed to be cauterized.

This he did using two silver nitrate sticks. Not painful really.

On arrival at home I noted a half pence sized grey scab.

Now Sunday it is still in place, lots of nasla fluid around it but to my very great concern just at the bottom edge of it there is a creeping bleed that currently seems to have clotted!

I have to declair utter fear of it going again.

I am on blood pressure control, it was getting high before the big bleed, my GP and I were adjusting my pills to bring it down.

My BP today has been typically 145/85 which is much better and should reduce further as the pills take more effect.

I have not picked the scab, not blown the nose and only dabbed it and applied Naseptin when possibe.

Please tell me what is going on here and offer advice about what I can do.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are doing the right thing by not picking or probing at it. You must let it heal and clot. I think you should be very gentle when blowing your nose. I wouldn't worry to much about it, just watch it. Good luck and no nose pickingbiggrinnbiggrin,
    • Posted

Thanks Anne

Got through most of the night, only slightly more blood all of which seems to have clotted. 

I note our American patiants seems to be issued a spray after this proceedure to keep things clean and clear, I was not and feel half the trouble if the build up of 'stuff' around the site putting pressure on it.

• Posted

Can I add to this, I have been getting a very slow amount of old looking blood in the back of my throat that does not seem to come from the main site.

I told my ENT about this and he used a small camera to investigate.

Said he could not see anything further back, but that he was not able to see all areas.

It seems to show up with a black clot, then I get a curtain of brownish blood appear.

Not masses but its a worry.

When we asked more he said it could be drainage from the original high pressure bleed making its way out of my nose and passages.

Does this sit right?

• Posted

? You know given how common this apparently is and how terribly desperate I feel I would have thought others might have come in on this to at least give their experience?

Bless Anne for her comment.

Still worried sick, now developed a deep drumming in my ears that I wonder if it could be related.

ENT doc seems happy to wait and see and only worry if it bleeds again, then I can go to A&E or come and see him when he can try the electric cauteriser. Great, sit and wait while my job leaks away like the blood. sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.