Bilateral CTS repair at one time.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have surgery scheduled next month on the right with left side to be done a few weeks later. Anyone's thoughts on doing them at the same time.

? Pros and cons please.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had mine done 9mths apart. If you heel well then by the time you have stitches out at 10days you will be able to do most things....although a bit gingerly. I personally wouldnt of coped with both being done close together as I have 3 young children and I live in the middle of nowhere so really needed to get back to driving. (1st hand I was back in 2wks 2nd it took a mth before I could drive) Even now I am CT symptom free which is great but I dont have the strength in my wrists and its been a year since my first op. If your lifestyle/job etc could take the downtime of maybe needing 6wks of care etc fine i know a builder friend who had both done at once and he needed 2mths off before he could go back to.work on light duties he said found that hard going and wish hed staggered the ops by a good 6 mths or more. It depends on how well you recover. Maybe see how you go for the 1st one and if you're not happy with how you are recovering postpone the other one. Good luck with it all. 😊

• Posted

I just had mine done, both at same time, on Jan. 20 th. I was driving within a couple days but needed help with a few self care things like putting on socks, doing hair and showering for a few days. I didn't have to return to work and housework can still be difficult, like mopping and vacuuming because wrists are still sore. Used pain medication for about 6 days after then stopped. Just depends on what you need to get back to and how soon. Can you give us any more details about that?

• Posted

I will probably have bilateral surgery soon like you did.  How long did the whole procedure take?
    • Posted

About an hour. Mine was done endoscopically though which is quicker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.