Bilateral Scarf Akin Osteotomies. Marathon & Ultra Running

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi guys,

Forgive me if im repeating a thread already but i couldnt find anything specific related to my title. I had pretty bad deformities in both great toes. They caused some pain after runs but not a huge amount. They did however seem to be a cause of other biomechanical problems which would often lead to hip & lower back injuries. Long story short I very recently had bilateral scarf akin osteotomies (1 week) Please don’t think I intend to be running anytime soon, I’m prepared to have the whole year off and more if it means I recover well. I guess I’d like to know of anyone’s experience with this method & their recovery, specifically runners who like to put in the miles. My surgeon thinks that without complications I should be able to do more than I have previously. He’s a trusted foot & ankle orthopaedic Dr however he seems rather emotionless so I guess I’m looking for some reassurance. I know it’s early days & things will progress but I’m just very curious. I’ve read a few threads and it’s shame that some of you suffer after surgery too. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.