Bilateral Scarf & Akin Osteotomy - 26 days post surgery update

Posted , 2 users are following.

I posted a few weeks back asking for tips in anticipation of surgery, and I just wanted to give an update on my experience. I had both feet operated on under general anaesthetic in the UK on 19th May.

When I woke up I was in no pain as the surgeon had also given me local anaesthetic in my feet. I was aware something had gone on with my feet but not pain...more of a tingle. Within minutes of waking I was sat up drinking a cup of tea and eating biscuits, I was then encouraged to walk with the heel bearing shoes and crutches down the corridor. This went ok, if anything I was just a little wobbly from the drugs!

I didn't sleep very well that night but not due to pain, mainly I was worried I would knock my feet and also I don't sleep well on my back. Day after surgery I was taking over the counter strength co-codamol and naproxin, this was enough until that evening when my left foot was very throbby! It was sore most of the evening (I would say a 6/6.5 on the pain threshold) but by morning I woke up and it wasn't too bad at all, down to a 2 maximum. The next day (day 2) followed this pattern but then things improved dramatically - by day 3 I had minimal pain all day and night and day 4 no pain, day 5 I was off ALL pain medication.

I stayed in bed during the day for the first 10 days, and just bum shuffled or crawled to the bathroom, this wasn't as bad as it sounds! I just found that this was less trauma than using the crutches, standing up made them swell a little. I had bought a leg elevation pillow from Amazon and used this ALL the time - cannot recommend those enough, elevation is the absolute key to a faster recovery.

Had my first bath (with legs over the edge!) on day 4, until then I used packs of shower wipes (again, amazon) they were an absolute lifesaver and made me feel lovely and fresh. I had prepared a basket at the side of my bed (or sofa, wherever I was) it contained all my toiletries, medications, books, chargers, etc etc.

After 10 days I started using a borrowed wheelchair to get around downstairs, and even ventured out to the garden centre for coffee. I began working from home on day 12 sat on the sofa bed, but I had done a few bits of work in bed prior to that - I had a bed desk (yep, you guessed it, Amazon). I was glad to have something to focus on but the majority of the time I just binge watched the entire catalogue of Line of Duty!

I saw the surgeon on day 21, hes happy with the healing and said that i'll see him again in 3 weeks after which he will decide if i'm ok to bear weigh again (pending xray results). I found seeing the wounds the worst part, i'm a little queasy with things like that and have never had an operation before let alone 2 at once!

So now there is barely anything I can't do, it just takes me longer - I can even change the bad and hover, just have to do it on my knees! I have no pain still and apart from the odd day where I feel a bit sorry for myself I am doing great, just looking forward to walking again! I measured the widest part of my feet before and after surgery - I am sure there is still some slight swelling around the wounds but I have feet that are 3cm+ thinner than before!! bearing in mind I struggled to get EEE even to fit without pinching I am very happy!

My main reason for posting this today is to try and reassure anyone waiting for surgery or thinking about surgery. I read hundreds of horror stories and was lead to believe it would be an absolute nightmare from hell, and quite honestly it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I had thought.

Every surgery is unique. A lot of patients only ever use these forums because they have problems. Now I have a long way to go yet I do know but I just want anyone reading this to know that not everyone is laid in agony for weeks.

My top tips:

Elevation leg pillow - absolutely essential, spend 99% of the day with your feet up it WILL help.

Ice gel packs very helpful with pain/swelling, I got socks (Amazon!) with cooling packs you insert.

Shower wipes - to make you feel human

Basket with everything but the kitchen sink at your side

Prepare prepare prepare - as much as possible the week leading up to.

STOP READING HORROR STORIES - I found a support group on Facebook and found this was brilliant, there are a few people with issues but there are so may people there for reassurance or helpful advice, this has been very good for me in particular leading up to surgery.

A shower stool very helpful not only for in the shower but to sit at the sink.

A wheelchair is brilliant to give you a bit of freedom.

A flask is helpful during the day if you're going to be left on your own.

Apologies for the lengthy post but if this helps or reassures just one person then it has been worth it!!

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Thanks Mrs Duck - such a helpful post.

I'm just about to have second foot operated on, 7 years after the first. I'm struggling to remember what it was like so your tips are great! Big changes from the last op for me are that we have moved to a house with downstairs bedroom and bathroom which should make things easier. Also, I've just retired, so no worrying about getting back to work 😃.

Hope your recovery is still going well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.