Bilateral Sciatica (5 months our discectomy)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Had a discectomy in early December. About 3 months out I started to develop symptoms I never had prior to surgery. I now have numbness in my right and left buttock along with slight burning into both legs, but not very low. Never into my knee or calf, but the back outside of right foot goes numb. They did another MRI, which showed the nerves clear, but scar tissue at L5/S1. They tried another steroid shot threw a catheter caudal, but it didn't help.

That said, could this be bilateral piriformis? I never had these symptoms prior to surgery. My pain was always down the side of my leg more typical with L4/L5. However, the doc suggested we do both levels in the surgery. My fear is that he created a problem that wasn't there and now I have S1 sciatica and in BOTH legs. The docs seem to be stumped, but are leaning towards it being scar tissue, which they say is normal? I've seen several PT's about it, but they don't seem to think it's a spine issue. I'm not sure what else would cause this type of bilateral nerve pain though?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.