Bilateral THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,everyone just out of hospital yesterday 6 days after my bilateral,had a really bad time starting with getting diarrhea post op and having to be turned 15 times in 12 hours ,spent 3 days in HDU in a bad way.After being transferred to ward was then given a blood transfusion ,which thankfully brought me back to the land of the living,after doing some frame and crutch walking including a few stairs i was discharged yesterday but still not feeling well in myself and suffering with really bad painfull thighs and not being able to sleep,even with oral morphine, i really really hope nobody else has to go through this and i know its onwards and upwards with time, iam feeling really low at the moment any advice would be greatly appreciated many thanks love to all Richard.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You certainly have had a very rough ride so far. Practically accept all help and ensure your GP knows that you are home and your recent history

I think most of us feel down at times at least partially due to the body trauma. Yours has been worse so I expect you feel it more.

you are right it is onwards and upwards, probably with a few slips

all the best

• Posted

Omg Richard I can't even imagine both hips at same time ! Just keep with this fab site for support ideas and inspiration take all help offered .Take all meds offered . Take one step at a time and set goals each day but little realistic ones . Catch up on old films ,books I did jigsaw . The first few weeks will be very tough but you will get through . Us hippies will look after you

Take care Denise

• Posted

Sending you BIG (((((HUGS))))) Richard

You have been through the woods and lets all keep everything crossed that you are now on the road to recovery. It is normal to feel very down the day after discharge, I only had Lthr (following an accident with multiple other fractures) but felt so low the day after I came home, boxes of tissues needed.

Rest when you can, take the full dose of oral morphine as prescribed and keep warm. Its not easy but it will get better, you will be very weak after what you have gone through so take everything a step at a time.

Love Dot xx

• Posted

Hope you've turned the corner re the diarrhoea - not ideal when you cant easily get to the toilet. Hang on in there with the recovery- it is an emotional rollercoaster but just be pleased you dont have to go back for the other hip!! I've no regrets having two done at once and I'm sure you wont once your general health picks up. Keep up with the meds and get as much sleep as possible. Its difficult on your back but count the days down and stay positive. Your new life will only get better!!

Best wishes

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Richard! Hope you've had a better day? Poor you. please remember we have all had major surgery.If it takes longer than six weeks,then go with the flow.I am my Hubby's carer & he's not too well.with mobility problems And severely sighted. please allow your family & friends to help you.Rest as much as you can.regards Amanda
  • Posted

Oh boy, oh boy, I am reaching out and sending you {{{hugs}}}

Geez I wish it had gone better, but it is behind you now. You made it, you made it through.

I had an issue with morphine so I was prescribed codeine which did work excellent for you. If you were in the uS they would give you OxyContin. My daughter had OxyContin after a surgery and she said it worked terrific.

Can't you call your general physician about getting better pain relief drugs? The surgeons always seem so much harder to reach and I don't think they are as sympathetic to pain as your general practitioner. That is what I did, when I got home from the hospital I called my GP, he made a house call and prescribed the codeine. Codeine is highly constipating (which I know you had that bout of diarrhea) so I took a stool softner every day and drank a big glass of prune juice.

I'm afraid the nights are not going to get better just yet, for most people it is two weeks before they start to come back up again. You don't have to suffer with the pain, you just need to get the right pain meds, so ya gotta ask.

Do you have a recliner chair?

• Posted

OMGosh you have been through the hardest ever, so I send Positive Thoughts & good wishes for a few good nights rest, wink as hard as that sounds, I am 2 weeks TLHR with a Dislocated TLKR that just wont move, so I am thinking I have had a rough rd. I just had staples 32 out yesterday, then they replaced those with stri strips, all I want is to go to the Potty !! & have some comfort, due to the morphine Oh, the things we take for grantite smile 

You will be on my list of prayers, things will get better, 1 day at a time !!

& take all the meds & help offered, it's Your Time to collect favors.

Take Care Richard....

• Posted

Hi Richard,

You have had such a tough time. Hugs.

Hope you can get a bit of sleep 'cos that does help healing, I feel.

Try to recline, best in a reclining chair or use pillows. That takes the weight off the hip joints and keep the legs extended if you can. It is tempting to raise leg to rest newspaper/book but use a pillow instead.

Watch daytime tv. Yes, it is rubbish but it will send you off to sleep and that way you can catch up on your zzzeds.

My pain relief is co-codamol and it is useless because body builds up resistance to it. If it is a persistent bone ache you need better pain killer. If it is just pain when you move, then avoid those ! That is easier to cope with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.