Bisphosphonates (bone builders!)) while having Fibromyalgia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,  I have Fibromyalgia and Polymyalgia....I have been advised, because of  being on steroids that I need an injection to Prevent Osteoporosis, I have Osteopenia....I like some others with Fibro, react to medication.  Has anyone else had these injections, if so how was it for you??  Thank  You.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

Sorry but I have not had these injections.

Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to assist. 

Good Luck wink x

• Posted

i have 2 injections per year because i have osteoporosis, it is called denosumab 60mg which is given in my stomach area, each time a different side is is used i have no side effect.  i am not sure it this is what you mean. 

I did have an intravenous drip, before these injections, which had the most horrendous side effects which lasted for about a month, which made me so very ill.

i am 65 years old so i am not sure of the injection you mean.. I also suffer from fibromaygia and osteoarthritis, and am also using fentanyl patches one 25 umg and one 12 umg each 72 hours.  I suffer from extreme sweating and chills and do not know which medication is causing this.

• Posted

Thank you Kate...I`m 63.....I don`t know what the name of the injection is...but will be finding out.  I have Osteopenia....and suck two adcal a day, but my Rheumatologist won`t leave it,  I don`t really want the injection......why did they give you intravenous drip, is there a choice which way to have it, if you don`t mind me asking?  Thank you.
    • Posted

I have just realised I posted message reply to you in the wrong place.   I have had no internet...sorry

there was no choice with the the injections / intravenously.  The latter gave me dreadful side effects so now have the injection - it is fine, no side effects.  Mine is for osteoporosis.   The injection is build up bone density.   Don't worry.   Kate. Ps. I havd fibromyalgie osteo arthritis osteoporosis reynauds syndrome... 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply....will try not to worry about it....if it`s tablets, we can stop taking them, but thought once the injection is in.....well you know what I mean.....Get fed with all, as I`m sure you do....rolleyes
  • Posted

I had polymyalgia for 3 years and was on steriods to stop you getting osteopuroris

I have been given adcal tablets to keep bones ok (they are vitamin D and calcium)

Mine has developed into fibromyalgia now which I am struggling with medication for pain and fatigue and sleep disturbance

I have been to a pain clinic today and she has advised me to stay on adcal and keep my intake of vitamin D and E up as it helps this condition    I am 70 now

she has also suggested I have melatonin 2 hours before going to bed

I havent tried it yet will keep you posted

• Posted

Thanks for that....have you got over the Polymyalgia, and stopped taking steroids.?..I asked my Rheumatologist if just taking adcal was enough...NO ....she wouldn`t listen....I do think my Fibromyalgia has now got worse, especially the fatigue....and the Doctor`s think the steroids are doing it.  It a damn minefield trying to feel well, as we all know....Good luck with the melotonin......
    • Posted

My polymalgia changed to fibromyalgia. I had a blood test and they said it was no longer PMR 

Fibro doesnt respond to steroids so the Dr took me off the prednisalone slowly   I am surprised you are still on them  as it is common knowledge that they dont work with FMR

I also have 1 tablet 70mg Alendronic acid once a week taken with water before you eat or drink anything

it is important to take adcal and the above to keep your bones ok after being on steroids for  a long time

I am now waiting for the results from the pain clinic about changing my nightime medication

Will keep you posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.