Bladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

have you lost control of you bladder?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

Originally, when I went to the emergency room, I had lost the ability to empty my bladder. I could still start but not finish. After I got to the hospital, I couldn't urinate. After surgery, I had an indwelling or a foley catheter. After leaving NICU, 2 days later, the catheter was removed, but I couldn't urinate on purpose at all. Couldn't defecate either. I was catheterized about every 6 hours for several days, until I started self-catheterizing. The staff used a bladder ultrasound to check how much urine was in my bladder. The thing is, I could still feel when my bladder was getting full, even though I couldn't go. I sort of got control of my bladder about 2 ½ weeks after my surgery. Stopped doing any regular caths about 4 weeks after surgery. Have had 2 episodes of bladder infections, which I'm hoping are finally cured. I'm now 100 days post surgery. I'm not quite there yet. I'm incontinent occasionally, usually because I can't get to the toilet in time. During the day, I can usually control things. At night, sometimes yes, sometimes no. I think they call it functional incontinence, because I have all of the sensations, and most of the control, but my mobility, as in my legs, is not there yet.

• Posted

hi i have lost complete control of my bladder and are numb from the waist down on the left side and have been like this for 2 years and have had a superpubic catheter fitted so no more infections but still have to have a district nurse come every 8 weeks to change it, and still in a lot of pain in my back. am glad you haven't got to go through that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.