Bladder Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, after having BCG treatment for bladder cancer I was left with severe cystitis and went on to have 6 weekly treatments of cystitat treatment to repair my bladder but that did no good whatsoever. Please can anyone recommend what I can take to relieve the severe cystitis - I wee every hour day and night and the pain is horrendous. I was told I could not see the Urologist until I go for my cystoscopy next month. No way can I tolerate a camera in my bladder with the pain I have so need something to ease the pain before October - please help.

Regards

J

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean. I'm so sorry you've been through such a rough and, I'm sure, - scary time! To be left like this after treatment is awful - I expect the cystitis is exactly that - bladder inflammation from all it's been through. It's hard to recommend things as I don't know if they'd be safe after your treatment but if you are allowed you could try Azo urinary pain relief (sold in the US i belief - I'm in the UK) bi-carb of soda (a tsp in a glass of water) marshmallow root (tea or capsules) is meant to help repair the bladder lining. avoid caffeine at all cost including decaf, (try redbush tea instead) no alcohol, chocolate, citrus fruits (esp cranberries) carbonated drinks or artificial sweeteners. Try to increase water intake to keep the urine diluted which is less irritating to the bladder, although this goes against the instinct it is really vital! Take paracetemol AND neurofen regularly if you can, and ask doctor for stronger pain relief if needed and maybe some sleeping pills short term. If it helps, my brother in law had similar trouble after bladder cancer treatment but it did settle down and he's fine now! I wish you well - can you ask for the cystoscopy to be done under general anaesthetic? thats the only way i agreed to have mine done!

• Posted

Hi Shirley, many thanks for all the info. I think I am going to try the bicard of soda to see if it works. I live in Spain and previously when I had a cystoscopy the Urologist said I would be ok as the camera etc., has antiseptic on it for pain relief - when the camera went in I nearly fell off the table with the pain AND that was before I'd had any treatment - just a routine cystoscopy. I have so much pain that no way could I tolerate a camera being inserted now. I'll go for the appointment but will refuse treatment unless something is given to me before - cross fingers for me with that ha ha!!

Regards

J XXX

• Posted

Hi Jean, I just typed a long reply but must've touched the wrong thing and it disappeared! Anyway, look after yourself and don't let anyone do a cystoscopy without a 'general' - they didn't even suggest it here in England - I've always had a GA with mine and I'd never agree to one without as I've only ever heard horror stories of the pain! We know our own bodies and sadly we have to become our own experts (a consultant even told me that once!) don't put yourself through more pain than you have to! I hope the bicarb helps - it certainly won't do any harm x

• Posted

You can also try D-Mannose and Prelief tablets both available on Amazon / Ebay. Azo works well but make sure to take with food as it can give indigestion and makes your wee go bright orange.

• Posted

Thanks for replying.

Regards

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.