Bleeding on hrt gel and progesterone pill

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i hope someone can give me some advice. 55 yrs old. Finished in the menopause 10 years ago. recently started hrt. gel and pill which is one a day no break. I feel fine apart from the break through bleeds. progressively getting heavier and now every 2 wks. has anyone else had this ? Does it improve? could i take less progesterone?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi andi24,

Not unusual after periods have ended and starting hrt to bleed. The bodies response waking up estrogen receptors is what I was told by my holistic dr. For me it subsided in a couple weeks with a adjustment in progesterone to finish the bleed. Not sure if your on bio identical hormones or synthetic. For me I couldn't tolerate progesterone over 100mg and this has worked for me taking it daily. I started on creams for several years and switched to pellets several years ago and those have worked great for me.

• Posted

thanks for getting back to me. im on utroegestin. 100mg. daily plus the estogen gel. Been on it 3 months and the bleedings gone from spotting to full on bleeds. just don't know what to do

• Posted

andi24,

It can be a scary thing for sure. Not sure where you live but I strongly recommend getting with a alternative doc that knows what their doing with hrt if your not with one already. It can mean the difference of failure or success with hormone replacement. You should have complete confidence in what your doc is prescribing and feel comfortable contacting them and asking questions along the way. An increase in progesterone helps move the bleeding along if you can tolerate it but your doc should be on top of this. You can find a lot of good information online through books and videos addressing bio identical hormone replacement to help you through your journey. It takes some tweaking because we are all different but for me I got my life back and have never looked back. By the way I'm 61. At 55 when my periods ended I got on hrt and plan to stay on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.