Blepharitis no relief

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have suffered from Blepharitis for 4 years and it has got to the point that I cannot get any relief, The warm compress, eye lid cleaning and massage that did work now only gives me 20 minutes of relief and my eyes are once again dry. I have used antibiotic ointment prescribed by my GP but that didn't help.

Can anyone please advise a different regime as I am really struggling emotionally with this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The warm compresses, eyelid cleaning and massage regime is sometimes too much for dry eyes and often sufferers will say give it up and treat your eyes more kindly.Apart from the antibiotic ointment do you use any other lubricant in your eyes?You could ask your GP for Simple Eye ointment which he/she can prescribe. Its the only thing I use now after 15 years of trying so many things. Just a small blob under each top eyelid every night and let it melt overnight over the eye. You need to blot the eye for excess oil in the morning, but dont wash the eyelid at all. Just close your eyes and press a tissue against each eye for a second. I also keep Carmize 1% eye drops for emergencies. They come in handy single use phials so you can pop a few in your pocket. You can buy them on line and some pharmacies/chemists do have them in stock.You must never wait until your eyes feel dry, you have to use lubrication at regular intervals.

Also do you wear close fitting protective polarised glasses when you are outside in wind or bright sun? They help tremendously with glare.I wear a pair of padded cycling glasses which I bought from Amazon. Might be an idea. Also keep away from fans/central heating/open fires/ dusty or dry atmospheres.

Its a way of life and you have to keep trying all sorts of this until something works for you but I do recommend a more kindly approach.

Also, if you are doing screen work a lot, whether phone or computer, do try to make yourself blink rapidly at regular intervals.......say every 5 minutes or so. Computer work is one of the biggest contributors to dry eye.

If you drive, keep all those blowers turned off and no air conditioning. You can experiment with which windows in the car can be open and how much, but any air flow over the eyes will make it worse. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Marina. I have tried the be kind to my eyes approach and using eye ointment at night but it didn't work. The only short term relief I get is with the warm compress. I can literally feel the plugs in the eyelid ducts loosen and the oils do flow and give me 20-30 minutes relief but the ducts become blocked again. I've read on here about wet Ones antibacterial hand wipes.

They sell them on Amazon so I think I will give them a go.

• Posted

Yes some sufferers do use wet ones wipes but you may find they are very drying. Do be cautious. Baby wipes may be better.There is no instant cure for this and I think artificial lubrication of some sort is the answer..

You could also try eyelid exercises which I have found quite useful.

Relax your face and shut your eyes but keep your face relaxed.

Without screwing up your face, force your eyelids to close further so you can feel a squeeze in just the meibomian glands in the edges of the lids.

Open your eyes and blink rapidly.

Do this 3 times, several times per day.

Have you looked at all the medications in Boots the chemist that are for dry eye?

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried all the products no. Artificial tears only work for a few minutes

• Posted

Hallo again...just thinking...if artificial tears only work for a few minutes I am wondering if your draining ducts on the inner corner of your eyelid are large and the medication is draining away too fast. Have you considered having Punctal plugs put in the drains . i had this done and felt immediate relief. Ophthalmologist did it for me. Only takes a couple of seconds per eye and they are permanent. I have mine checked each year to make sure they are still there, but thats not absolutely necessary. you cant feel or see them once in situ.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.