Bloated, cramping, constipated and generally uncomfortable

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. Thank you for your time.

I've been feeling constipated and cramping for quite a while now. So I went to the doctor who suggested that I take laxatives daily, have an enema every second day, up my fiber intake and drink more fluids.

After doing that for a week, while I can have a bowel movement (runny and soft), I still feel that I haven't emptied my bowels, and I have a constant feeling of needing to go, when I push to try to 'force it' I just feel blocked.

I feel crampy, full, bloated and generally uncomfortable, almost like PMS.

I have neglected my body and have definitely been drinking too much alcohol, and haven't been eating much due to stress. But for the past month or so, I've been eating regular healthy meals, and am cutting out the alcohol. (I'm not sure if that would be of relevance).

Now I'm beginning to wonder if that is just a side effect of something else going on, and being the weekend, I can't get to the doctor before Monday. So I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Ovulation and Menstruation did trigger similar symptoms, but it's been going on for much longer than that now.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just realised that I'm in the wrong "cramp" section. I'm sorry! Can I move this?

• Posted

See if you can copy, then paste in right area. I was reading this thinking maybe someone was pulling our chain. Lol You may have Irritable Bower Syndrome IBS. My husband has it. Stress makes it worse. Every symptom you described, describes IBS. High fiber hurts him, so he doesn't do it as often, but in moderation. If you occasionally have severe gas pains in your left side, it's probably IBS. He has to lay down when it gets really irritated, and he's hurt so bad it's caused him to become nauseated. Eventully, he has to get antibiotics to clear it up. It's horribly painful. No cure, so you need to get on it fas t. He has certain foods he has learned to stay away from like potatoes, popcorn, nuts and anything that causes a lot of gas, etc. I hope it is not IBS, and hope you feel better. Keep going to doctors if it's doesn't get better until you find out what it is.

• Posted

Thanks Shelta. I'll do the copy and paste, thanks for the tip.

And thank you also for the IBS suggestion. I'll bring that up with the doctor at my appointment. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.