Blood Clots and Deep Vein Thrombosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a few weeks out from a total hip replacement and have been feeling fine about it thanks to the excellent discussion in this forum.

I have one last fear about this operation. That is the chance of blood clots, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

Has anyone had any experience with this after the operation?

I understand that I will be taking blood thinners, wearing compression stockings and keeping moving to prevent the above. Has anyone still had problems despite taking these preventative measures?

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

I am being treated for atrial fibrillation, where the heart doesn't pump properly and there is a high risk of blood clots. So I am taking blood thinners as a matter of course probably for the rest of my life.

When I had my first hip replacement done last year, I had to stop my usual blood thinner, Previscan, and they put me on Lovenox injections10 days either side of my surgery after which I was weaned back on to Previscan.

I also wore the compression stockings and moved about as much as possible

So, in answer to your question, I think if you take all the precautions you should be safe. Even with all my other problems, I felt confident I was being cared for safely.

• Posted

Hi John, I took lovenox injections and kept very mobile, no compression stocking and all went well on this dimension.

I have been a forum member for almost 6 months, but I don't recall any discussion about blood clot problems developing.

I hope this is reassuring to you - are you at risk?

Best wishes for a successful operation and recovery - it is truly worth the trouble. But be prepared to be patient through your recovery.

L

• Posted

John,

This was a particular worry to me as my father died from a pulmonary embolysm (PE). I had no problems, but I followed the advice to the letter, took the blood thinner tablets, wore the TED stockings, and did the exercises.

I will be writing some more on this in my website soon as I have come across some interesting articles recently on the internet.  

You could try searching for 

"Why binge watching your TV box-sets could kill you"  

it should come up with a national newspaper website story.

Graham

• Posted

Thanks for replies. If you google search 'prevalence of venous thromboembolism mater' you should find a long term study done by the Mater hospital. If you read the whole article the results are reassuring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.