Blood Pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

My phlebotomist told me last week that one of the symptoms of HH is a thickening of the blood due to the rich iron levels; she said that as you continue, the blood will start to thin, making it easier to breathe and will lower blood pressure.  Does anyone have some experience with this?  I have given three times and I don't feel like it - quite the contrary, I have a hard time catching my breath.  Is it advised to remain on blood pressure medications while you are going through this process?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I've also heard that the blood is thick - after the first unsuccessful blood drawn, I started taking a baby aspirin a day to help thin things out.  I was also needle phobic, so my hemotologist gave me a prescription for atavan to help relax me before going to see Dracula.  It seems to really help but the only caviat is that someone has to drive you.  I also make sure I eat a good meal prior to going for the blood draw.  I don't take blood pressure meds. so can't answer that portion of your question.

• Posted

Hi. My ferritin level was 2000 a year ago. Had a years worth of weekly phlebotomy sessions. Each time, I drank loads of water a few hours before..I mean a good few pints. Blood came out like water...that's the thing to do. Gotta be well hydrated...eat a good meal before hand as well. I drink water during as well, and eat a snickers. All worked for me....all the best. Mike.

• Posted

The phlebotomist told me to start hydrating 3 days before, and dont drink coffee the day of. I didn't know any of that.

• Posted

No coffee????  Heaven forbid!!!  ha ha ha...  Interesting though - I had not heard that either.  Thanks to all who have stressed hydrating - again, not something that was shared with me - so I've increased the water since I've read these posts. 

• Posted

Hi Jan

​I have exactly the same problem. I have also had 3 venesections, the first went well. The second one my blood clotted before the bag was full and the nurse told me my blood was thick because of the iron. On the 3rd one they tried 3 times to get a line in my hand for the iv drip, but the blood was too thick so they gave up. I am also short of breath and have constant headaches, which i put down to my blood pressure being on the high side. Im hoping these symptoms will sort them selves when my iron levels come down. My hemoglobin is also high (191g/l) so this could also be why my blood is on the thick side. Im fed up with it all to be honest, always feeling ill, joints always hurting and constantly tired. Hopefully things will get better as time goes on.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing...  I don't quite understand my levels at this point - nothing seems to make sense when it comes to this, you know?  I have not had a problem donating yet, but like you, I have the headaches, joint problems and fatigue.  It's frustrating.  I hope that things get better for you!  (For all of us, actually.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.