Blood pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

i, I went to the doc this morning to get a contraceptive pill renewal and the nurse took my blood pressure and it was something mad like 145/118 and she actually got a different monitor as she thought the first might be broken!! I am 40 and don't have the best diet, probs about a stone heavier than my ideal weight and I drink alcohol so I am scared Ive done awful damage! She has given me a monitor and said I have to test 4 times a day for a week and go back and mentioned potentially putting me on meds.... She said they would need to do a blood test first though if they are putting me on meds to check organ function and since I drink alcohol I'm scared this could mean I have liver or kidney disease... I do tend to probs what you could term binge drinking a couple of times a week.

Last night it was a friends birthday so we had pizza and drank quite a bit so I know this may have affected the readings (I am a tad hungover). could this have had an effect as i dont think my blood pressure has been this bad before at the docs. I also have white coat syndrome quite badly which I told her about but she didn't seem convinced. So so scared that I might have some kind of heart, kidney or liver disease if I do have high blood pressure this young and she seemed surprised and implied there must be some underlying cause if i have it at this age... Since getting hone i have tested loads and it has fluctuated loads though never as high as what it was in the surgery or as low as normal - lowest since getting home was 124/84 and highest 138/107.... I'm just beside myself...

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, try not to worry you'll only make it worse. Anxiety can make your bp spike, it does mine and I too have white coat syndrome. Can you speak to your doctor for reassurance. He or she is the best person to discuss this with for best treatment to go forward. It will mean some sensible lifestyle changes and possible meds. Once under control you may not need meds permanently at your age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.