Blood test for Coeliac?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Another post in quick succession from my last but I find this forum great and it really gets you thinking.

Can a 'normal' blood test pick up Coeliacs? I have had lots of blood tests in the past but never hinted towards Coeliacs; however, I do have a reoccurring problem with anomalies of the liver function test but the doctor said I could just be outside the normal range and there not be a problem.

My latest round of blood tests threw up the possibility of anemia so my doctor repeated the blood test to check and also asked for a Phosphate test? Haven't a clue why?

Then I was called back in to the doctor and he said that something was outside the normal range but strangely did not point to anemia he said it was in fact the opposite ? Again I am more confused...I have my test in two weeks so we will see.

Weirdly my doctors 10 years ago mentioned my condition could be coeliac but it went no further. Has anyone else experienced something similar and again is the coeliac test included as part of a 'normal' full blood count.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's exactly how my coeliac disease was flagged up - elevated liver blood tests for a few years without obvious cause. Then my GP asked for the specific one which showed elevated tTG levels which indicated I could have CD and this was confirmed a few months ago by gut biopsy (gastroscopy)

• Posted

I have the biopsy in 3 weeks so hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. How long does it take to get the diagnosis after the biopsy?

I have felt OK for many years. I vommited every day but so did my Father and Brother so (as daft as it sounds) we thought that was normal because the Doctors couldn't find anything.

I am unsure whether I will be Coeliac or not but for the past 3-4 months I have had been really bad and strangely the symptoms seem to be exaggerated since stopping smoking which could be psychological.

• Posted

In my case it was about 5 weeks from biopsy to seeing the gastro-enterology consultant for follow-up appointment when he confirmed the diagnosis. Have you got another appointment with yours?

I didn't have any obvious symptoms at all altho since going gluten-free a few seemingly unrelated things have started to clear up so every cloud etc! lol

• Posted

I just have appointment for the endoscopy at the moment that's it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.