Blood thinners and hairloss!?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i want to know your experience with blood thinners and how it has affected your hair? i have heard and read that a lot of people have hairloss due to warfarin, xarelto and eliquis. is there any brand of blood thinners that dosen't cause hairloss? im so afraid that i will lose more hair than i already have! i have extreme hair shedding due to hypoxia (low oxygen caused by bloodclots) and anemia.

i would be so grateful for answers!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been on Xarelto, Eliquis, Savaysa, and now warfarin. I feel the best on warfarin, the others had awful side effects for me, but never hair loss or anything like that.

• Posted

I was on blood thinners for just over 6 months roughly. I started taking tablets and went on to injections then back on to tablets (I took the same tablets you did, then tinzaparin, then edoxoban.) It was towards the end when my hair started shedding more than normal. I thought it may have been the tinzaparin. My hair started to fall out a little bit but I didn't get any bald patches, just larger amounts would come out than normal when I was washing and brushing my hair. My nails also started to soften and split. I also had my bloods done and my vitamin D was low. So I don't know if it was the medication or the vitamin deficiency. I have stopped taking the blood thinners now and am taking vit d spray. My hair is still coming out a bit but not as much as before. I think warfarin is the most likely to cause hair loss out of the 3.

Have you had your vitamin d tested?

• Posted

Hi Frida,

I took apixaban (eliquis) and one of the many side effects I noticed was losing more hair than normal, being post menopausal and losing hair anyway that was despressing.

• Posted

Have they told you how long you're going to be on your blood thinners ? I've been on blood thinners for a DVT 2 strokes and recently pulmonary cement embolism and never been on them for more than three months at a stretch. When I had my DVT I took Warfarin and I hated that drug because I had to go in and get blood tested all the time and I never could get it regulated. And now I've been on Xarelto for two different things this year. And I also take Plavix which is a platelet thinner. I think you're going to be more dismayed with the bruising you'll get then with hair loss but at least that was my experience.

• Posted

unfortunately, i have to be on bloodthinners for the rest of my life because of chronic bloodclots. thats why i am so worried about the possibility of hairloss... .

i have a normal vitamin D level but i have recently suffered from iron deficiency but its back to normal now, but my hair is still falling out, probably because i have low oxygen.

(sorry for my english, its not my first language.)

• Posted

I am a 20 year old female. After being on 20 mg of Xarelto for 4 weeks, I experienced sudden severe hair loss. It started the beginning of the 4th week. It was the ONLY new medicine I started and nothing else was new or had changed. After showering I combed my hair and tons, I mean a scary amount of hair was in my comb. I thought maybe it was because my hair was super tangled this time but when I washed my hair 2 days later a ton of hair came out again. It wasn't as much as the first time but was still a lot of hair. The doctor took me off Xarelto that day (she was evaluating whether I needed to be on it that week and decided I didn't. I was on Lovenox injections for 3 months before starting Xarelto)

Here it is almost 6 weeks later and my hair is still shedding. I've lost almost half of my hair volume. I have done some research and I think the Xarelto triggered Telogen Effluvium and now it has to take its course. I making an appt with a dermatologist because I'm scared I'm going to go freaking bald!!

I'm telling you it's from that nasty Xarelto. There's nothing worse then when a doctor doesn't believe you. I'm here to say Xarelto can cause severe hair loss in some patients.

• Posted

I've been on Xeralto for three years for PAD after finding out other blood thinners didn't work as well. I just found this forum because I've been noticing my hair is thinner and has been for a while. I thought it was due to my thyroid but my thyroid function is normal. Now I think it's the Xeralto. I've also read about dry itchy skin. I had the same problem after starting Xeralto but didn't think it might be connected. Getting older doesn't help but at 63 it shouldn't be so noticeable. Also being female I don't want to look ancient before I have to. It's hard enough with the PAD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.