Bloodshot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone else had blood vessels burst in their eyes. It has happened to me in both eyes this year, the last one was 3 weeks ago and it was a very bad one. Now today a blood vessel has burst on the inside of my bottom lip. I am reducing Preds and am on 3mg daily at the moment.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have had an increase in floaters and also some fairly significant hemorages INSIDE my eye.  All of a sudden, my left eye had a black blob floating around.  I thought "Oh my goodness am I going to have to live with this??"  But in 2 days, it was aborbed by the fluid in my eye.  I went to the opthamoligst and all was okay.

I have also have the "red blood burst" in the eye.  But that happens to me about once a year anyway.

Oh well 

• Posted

Hi,

just a side effect of Pred, I expect you bruise quite easily as well. Happens to most of us! First time my eye was bloodshot I was really worried, but as Ophthamologist explained if because the steroids make the tiny blood vessels weaker, and prone to damage. Nothing to worry about, according to him, unless it lasts longer than three weeks, if it does then check with your doctor. Unfortunately, it doesn't  take much for it to happen, and it looks worse than it is! 

• Posted

I've been getting broken blood vessels in my eyes more often for a few years now, long before pred.  The ophthalmologist suggested that eye drops would help, and somehow they seem to.  At least when I get them, they clear up faster.  I use the ones without additives.  The little ampoules or whatever they are called have to be thrown out about 12 hours after opening, which is wasteful, but no risk of irritation from preservatives.
  • Posted

Jo, these are subconjuctival haemorrhages and, as the others have said, can be a side effect of Prednisolone for some people.  I had numerous burst blood vessels in my eyes whilst on steroids, on one occasion waking up with both eyes badly affected - wouldn't have been so bad if it had been on Halloween!  My ophthalmologist reassured me that it was absolutely nothing to worry about, and I certainly haven't experienced a repeat in the last 3 years since coming off steroids.
  • Posted

Yup! I've had three or four in the past 10 months since starting on Mr Fred. My GP said it's not related, but that's just bollocks. lol
  • Posted

Hi there. Not only blood vessels in the eyes, but I have just had an enormous blood blister in my soft palate the size of a butterfly! quite sore. I am also having nosebleeds for the first time in my life.

We just have to remind ourselves that we wouldn't be walking without the pred!

• Posted

Hi. Yes I also get the deep red eyes and even though red is my favourite colour I hate them! My optician gave me medicated eye drops and if I use them before going out, especially in sunlight, they work a treat. Strangely, pre diagnosis I suffered from subcuteaneous bleeding beneath my finger nails. The gp was flummoxed, said he had never seen this before. \reading this thread made me realise suddenly that since taking pred, it has stopped happening. YEH! A positive thing about 'Mr Fred'razz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.