Bloody mouth injury caused by sudden shutting of jaw during sleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

Some might consider having a relaxed jaw and having it open during sleep is a normal thing, but not to me. I don’t usually do that. However, lately I found my jaw open during sleep in more than few occasions. Couple times it accompanied by a sleep apnea type of symptom which had me choked in sleep. Couple times it just stayed open and caused a severe dryness inside my mouth and on my throat. Couple times my jaw snapped shut hard voluntarily all of a sudden. That was what happened last night, again.

I was woken up in the middle of the night and found my jaw open and my mouth and throat severely dry. I was still half asleep at that point. And all of a sudden my jaw snapped shut voluntarily. It snapped really fast and hard which caused me to bite through the lower left corner of my lip. I tasted blood in my mouth immediately. It was a really painful bite. I couldn’t believe I injured myself that way in the middle of the night during sleep. Like I said, it happened before but the one last night was really hard.

Was it some kind of muscle disorder? I have no idea why and how it happened. Is there any way to prevent it from happening again? Please advise. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm exactly the same but I bite my tongue, I haven't got a clue what causes it, it hurts a lot though rolleyes
  • Posted

I do the same thing, only I bite my tongue.

I think its part of sleep apnea but not sure, I haven't been diagnosed with it, just my opinion.

Still haven't found any answers

• Posted

Same thing happens to me.   Not every night, but on occasion my teeth will suddenly snap shut, sometimes almost violently, and if my tongue is in the way it gets cut badly.    It is a very fast snapping - I could not do that sort of a motion voluntarily if I tried.

It will, of course, wake me out of a deep sleep when it happens.   I wish I knew what caused it, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.