Body Numbness HELP!!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was an otherwise healthy 35 yo when in late December I started to experience numbness (anasthesia) feeling in my torso that spread to my neck and face with tingling pins/needles feelings. By January it was roving all over my body....sometimes my feet, sometimes legs, arms, hands....sometimes whole body....Very scary and sent me to the emergency room...CT was clean and was referred to neurologist....brain mri and eeg were normal (although he did say there was some slowing on left side-weird) and cervical spine turned up a bulging disc at C3 C4 that is focally deforming my spinal cord and causing spinal stenosis. The neurologist diagnosed me with cervical spinal stenosis and spondylosis w/ mylopethy and I was sent to neurosurgeon who recommended spinal fusion surgery. During this time my numbness was more constant especially in my legs, eyes were constantly dry, neck stiffness & pain, sensitivity to sound & light, bad headaches in back of head, feet and hands sensitive to cold water & air.... At the urging of family and friends we went & had 2nd & 3rd opinions from another neurologist & neurosurgeon who both believe I was misdiagnosed & the spinal chord compression would never cause generalized numbness througout body & other symptoms I was having. Having more tests & seeing a 3rd neuro thursday to see what he says...Just wondering if anyone has ever had body numbness in large parts of body & what the diagnosis was-could it be from bulging disc???....I would so appreciate any advice or experiences as this is wearing on me mentally and am very confused & scared.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Some of this sounds like mild Guiillain Barre symptoms. Was this ruled out? Many cases have varying symptoms and tests results. Did you have an infection, virus or vaccine before your symptoms began?
    • Posted

Nobody has mentioned that & honestly I feel like not enough tests have bee done.... I actually did have an intestinal bug the week before my symptoms began but brushed it off as having too much fun on a Saturday night & having a bad hangover.... My husband & I never go out & we had a good time with friends & I was sick for a few days after.... When we looked back and realized how close this took place to when my symptoms started we wondered if there was a connection...we've wondered if somebody put something in my drink or if maybe my immune system was down & I picked up some weird virus.... None of my doctors have asked me if I was sick before this happened but I will definitely be mentioning all of this to them.... & they'll probably look @ me like I'm crazy as usual & dismiss it... I'm sorry I'm just so fed up with feeling like this & not knowing why for suresad
    • Posted

Certain gastrointestinal illnesses can cause Guillain Barre Syndrome. Oftentimes it presents with ascending numbness/weakness moving throughout the body. I had a mild case back in 2014 that started following a Tetanus shot. I was affected from my legs & feet to my face & eyes. The first doctor I saw suggested that I keep a timeline each day with specific symptoms and their locations since they didn't know what was wrong. It was extremely helpful down the road. You might want to do this so it will be easier to look at the progression over time. I included when I got my vaccination so you may want to include when you got the intestinal bug just in case it's related. A timeline will be helpful whether it's this or not. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.