Borderline Red Cells/Haemoglobin

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

29, Male. I've suffered from tiredness and cold hands/feet which have been getting worse since I was around 16. My body/muscles have been feeling weaker to the point that I had to stop going to the gym when I was 18 as basic things like walking became a challenge for my legs and it's been getting worse, I'm not overweight, but I'd probably say underweight although I have a healthy diet. I struggle to put weight on. The Dr's have always ignored my symptoms as my blood results would mostly be fine.

I started supplementing on iron 1-2x per week recently to see if it would help and I decided to do a private blood test as they check for a few extra things and from what I've noticed, my iron and Active B12 are fine. But my Haemoglobin and Haematocrit have always been borderline, not enough for the Dr's to have to look into it though. I was wondering if my Active B12 could do with some improvement regardless? My results are as follows:

Haemoglobin - 144g/dl (Always been around 140-144 so the recent iron supplementation hasn't made a difference to this )

Haematocrit - 0.426 ( always been around this )

Red Cell count - 4.91 ( was 4.90 a few months ago)

Active B12 = 88.5 pmol/L

Folate Serum = 17.8nmol/L

Iron = 16.9 umol/l

TIBC = 50.7umol/l

UIBC = 33.8umol/l

Ferritin = 192ug/l (this was 142 just a few months ago before I started supplementing)

I'm not sure how I could raise my haemoglobin/red cell count, I have enough iron and I don't have a vegetarian diet so I don't know why it is so borderline.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.